Thanks for road cycling advice

jeremyrundle
jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I want to offer a belated thanks to those who advised me NOT to sit in the gutter but ride as you have a right to be on the road.

Since last year I have done and so should ALL new riders, I am rarely cut up now I ride away from the kerb, when I come to places with islands I move out so I can't be cut up in what you call "pinch points" and only last week leaving Morrisons a MORON of the highest degree tried to go round me where only one vehicle can go at the exit to the main road, I saw him coming from behind (leaving the garage) and quietly moved out a little, he pulled back in behind me and hit the horn, he had lost perhaps two seconds by not being able to carve me up but I was safer.

As he went past I saw skull and crossbones on his neck, other tattoos of knifes where his hair has been shaved and many metal bits hanging off, so at least I had a good laugh.

Thanks for the advice to new riders to not be afraid to believe you too have a right to be on the road.
Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its all good advice, there is a time to ride in the gutter (so to speak) but there is also a time to stand up for yourself and take a more dominant position, it's all about reading the road and taking appropriate action.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I gave this advice to a lady I saw cycling back last night - she was tight up against the verge and cars were barely moving out to pass.

She actually said that she was scared of the cars and I pointed out that she would get MORE room if she rode further out like I did.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Saw a guy so close to the kerb the other day that he hit it. Straight over the bars and collided with a bin - oops.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    As he went past I saw skull and crossbones on his neck, other tattoos of knifes where his hair has been shaved and many metal bits hanging off, so at least I had a good laugh.

Ah, the BBC1 sitcom stereotype of an English thug. I suspect at least a small part of your post is a porky pie, Jezza.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

Ah, the BBC1 sitcom stereotype of an English thug. I suspect at least a small part of your post is a porky pie, Jezza.

Don't worry, I'm sure one if his cameras recorded it :wink:
  • jeremyrundle
    I suspect at least a small part of your post is a porky pie, Jezza.[/quote]

Since my sons mother divorced me years ago and she faught to have all of them placed for adoption I swore to my sons, I would get custody, I would never lie, steal or not be there for them, to my knowlege I have never broken any of my rules, ever. And I did get custody.

I do not lie.......There is nothing to gain from a lie other than some who may not believe you, and that is not my problem.

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Sounds like this guy

johnny-depp-pirates-of-the-caribbean.jpg
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I suspect at least a small part of your post is a porky pie, Jezza.

Since my sons mother divorced me years ago and she faught to have all of them placed for adoption I swore to my sons, I would get custody, I would never lie, steal or not be there for them, to my knowlege I have never broken any of my rules, ever. And I did get custody.

I do not lie.......There is nothing to gain from a lie other than some who may not believe you, and that is not my problem.

Cool story bro.

Glad you're enjoying being out on the bike! Its wonderful, isn't it?
  • jeremyrundle
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Sounds like this guy

johnny-depp-pirates-of-the-caribbean.jpg

I suppose it's the age where everything has to be turned into a joke by some.

• jonny_trousers

Well in that case forgive me; how could I ever have doubted you? :shock:

The thing is with internet fantasists, however - and most web forums have a few in residence - is that they are more than willing to make up all kinds of nonsense in order to justify the fact that they are not lying (which they clearly are).

Where your posts are concerned, Jezza, I just can't but help smell something rather iffy every time you try to back up your assertion with one of your anecdotes (which sound a lot like they are taken from The Daily Mail's Big Book of Stereotypes). What I think, of course, doesn't matter in the slightest.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    pics or it didn't happen.
  • jonny_trousers
    thelawnet wrote:

It didn't happen!
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    thelawnet wrote:

It didn't happen!

JR has around 5 different MD80s, and doesn't go anywhere without them, so I'm sure its on film. :)

Link to the video JR?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Mattsaw wrote:

JR has around 5 different MD80s,

*cough* 10 *cough*

Good advice tho, ride prime & proud to be safe as possible
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    But.. surely an internet fantasy would be more unusual*?

"I used to ride in the gutter, and had some close shaves, now I ride primary, and it annoys some impatient car drivers, but doesn't actually delay them and I feel safer..." doesn't seem very surprising.

I'm also sure that the more aggressive drivers are those who are more likely to be annoyed by cyclists taking primary, preventing them from overtaking in pinch points.

*I'm sure mine would be...
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    My old mum used to say to me, "If your not going to let facts get in the way of a good story then at least make sure its a f**ing good story."
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299

Fair enough for the other advice. Absolutely spot on, don't ride in the gutter. However...

What does this have to do with anything? He had some tattoo's and earings (I presume that is what you meant.

Do you think if you teach your children that they should laugh at people who look different to the 'norm' that will make them well rounded.

A lot of people look at cyclists and think we 'look wierd'. Then they give us abuse/laugh/do something stupid.