Specialized Allez Sizing Help

jamieayres
jamieayres Posts: 282
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Currently looking at getting my first road bike and like the look of the Spesh Allez. Going to try and get down to Rutland Cycles at some point to try some out, but in the meantime I thought I would pick the bikeradar's hive mind on sizing issues.

I am 5'7"/32.5" inseam, and according to Wiggles size guide I have a positive 'Ape Index'. So does this mean, as I could go for the 52 or 54 frames, I should go for the larger of the 2?

Comments

• Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    It depends on what you plan on doing IMO.

If you are planning to do more sportives and long distance, the 54 will be more relaxed and comfortable over long distances. (However you may find it too long in the top tube.)

But the 52 will be better if you want to get into racing as you will be lower and more aerodynamic.

It's your choice, but you should try them as you were going to...
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • jamieayres
    Usage will be 30+ mile rides mainly with the odd short blast when short on time. No racing really, just using for fitness.
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    Then I would say the 54 would be better, but don't rule out the 52 until you've tried it...
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    I'm 5'7'' with a stumpy inside leg of 29" and I ride a 52 Allez Sport with 170mm cranks. Fits perfect. With your longer legs you might need the 54 with a slightly longer 172mm crank. Best way is to try them though.

1967 Engine
  • jamieayres
    Well, managed to try out a 54cm Allez and still none the wiser. Standover was fine, as had about an inch and a bit, but reaching onto the hoods felt a bit stretched out.

Not sure if it is just coming from an MTB background that it feels weird or because it is too long :?
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    What did the bike shop say?

I'm 5'9" with a 30.5 inch inside leg. The bike shop had a 52 and reckoned it fitted me.

I wasn't convinced. One tip he gave me was that positioned on the drops you should see the end of the forks over the handlebars. I could see most of the fork.

I then bought a 54 and am pretty happy with it - it feels better. Standover height is a bit of an issue, but everything else is fine.

James
  • jamieayres
    What did the bike shop say?

The guy said that I looked just right on it and advised the 54cm was the size he would recommend. He wasn't pushing the frame on me either as I told him I would not be buying for a week or 2.

The shop did have a 52cm Secteur in stock, slightly more upright geo, and while the reach felt ok, it did feel a bit cramped.

I guess it is looking like a 52cm with a longer stem or a 54cm with shorter stem.

Hopefully going to a store tomorrow who will have both sizes to test back to back.

I think the big problem here is I have no point of reference, so am putting most of my faith in the professionals.
    I wasn't convinced. One tip he gave me was that positioned on the drops you should see the end of the forks over the handlebars. I could see most of the fork.

Will have to remember that for tomorrow!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Hals1967 wrote:
    I'm 5'7'' with a stumpy inside leg of 29" and I ride a 52 Allez Sport with 170mm cranks. Fits perfect. With your longer legs you might need the 54 with a slightly longer 172mm crank. Best way is to try them though.

+1

5.7 with 29 inseam and I had a 52 Allez.