Yet another pedal & road shoe reconmendation..

jonrwg
jonrwg Posts: 39
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I still need a little advice on my first clipless pedal and road shoe. After reading reviews of various source I filter my choice down to this three pedals:

1)Shimano PD-5700 105 SPD_SL
2) Shimano R540 SPD_SL
3) Look Keo Classic

I'm on a budget so I won't go above £60. I'll be using my bike mostly for club riding, sportive, etc and not for commuting so I guess SPD_SL pedal would be the better choice?

As for shoes, I read a lot of thread here that shoe are personal preference and needed to try it in store. Well, I did try:

1) Shimano R087 2011
2) Shimano R077 2011
3) Mavic Avenir 2011

All of them fit well with my leg but I still not sure which one to choose from. Read some reviews about them and seems to be at the same level? But there is one shoe that I can't find it at my LBS, DHB RC Carbon. I noticed that it was recommended by Cycling Plus magazine.

I'm still new to this so do teach me anything new I need to know. In learning mode now. :D

Thanks for any advice given here. :lol:

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Have you had a look at Time?
    Lots of float etc.

Specialized shoes are great for my feet.
  • jlgt
    jlgt Posts: 21
    I use your option 3 in both cases (Look Keo Classics with Mavic Avenirs) and I like them a lot - the Avenirs are more comfortable than most other shoes I have worn, never mind cycling shoes; I found the lower end Shimano shoes nowhere near as comfortable when I tried them on, but it sounds like that's not a problem for you. Also, the Avenirs are pretty stiff and have some carbon in the sole (unlike the fibreglass/nylon Shimanos) if you are bothered about that sort of thing.

In terms of pedals/cleats there is not a massive amount of difference between SPD-SL and Look - most of it comes down to aesthetics and personal preference, and I've heard different people say that each system is far superior and that the other is much more difficult to clip in/out of... Your best bet would be to try both if that's possible and see which one you like the feel of more.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I have Sidi Ergo 2 Carbon Lites with Speedplay Zeros - very nice, and another option for you to consider.
  • jonrwg
    RC856 wrote:
    Have you had a look at Time?
    Lots of float etc.

Specialized shoes are great for my feet.

I've look at them but very few choices for my budget.
    jlgt wrote:
    I use your option 3 in both cases (Look Keo Classics with Mavic Avenirs) and I like them a lot - the Avenirs are more comfortable than most other shoes I have worn, never mind cycling shoes; I found the lower end Shimano shoes nowhere near as comfortable when I tried them on, but it sounds like that's not a problem for you. Also, the Avenirs are pretty stiff and have some carbon in the sole (unlike the fibreglass/nylon Shimanos) if you are bothered about that sort of thing.

In terms of pedals/cleats there is not a massive amount of difference between SPD-SL and Look - most of it comes down to aesthetics and personal preference, and I've heard different people say that each system is far superior and that the other is much more difficult to clip in/out of... Your best bet would be to try both if that's possible and see which one you like the feel of more.

Thanks for your advice mate. I think I'll head down to my LBS and had a try again together with pedal. Another question, is all the shoe and pedal above are good in your opinion? Generally.
    I have Sidi Ergo 2 Carbon Lites with Speedplay Zeros - very nice, and another option for you to consider.

Are you selling?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    jonrwg wrote:
    Are you selling?

No mate, I've just bought them! I meant it was another shoe/pedal combination for you to consider :D
  • jlgt
    jlgt Posts: 21
    jonrwg wrote:
    Another question, is all the shoe and pedal above are good in your opinion? Generally.

I had a similar budget to you, and the Keo Classics and Avenirs were my favourite things that I found at that kind of price. The Classics are a bit heavier than the more expensive Keos, but still a very well-respected pedal for the price. And I think the Avenirs are slightly above the Shimano shoes at that price point, although if you can get a deal on a higher-end model like this (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/r220-road-shoes-ec021582) then that would be something to consider...
  • jonrwg
    jonrwg wrote:
    Are you selling?

No mate, I've just bought them! I meant it was another shoe/pedal combination for you to consider :D

LOL.. sry for mistake it. And wow, is too overpriced for me. haha. but thanks for the recommendation. :D
    jlgt wrote:
    I had a similar budget to you, and the Keo Classics and Avenirs were my favourite things that I found at that kind of price. The Classics are a bit heavier than the more expensive Keos, but still a very well-respected pedal for the price. And I think the Avenirs are slightly above the Shimano shoes at that price point, although if you can get a deal on a higher-end model like this (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec021582) then that would be something to consider...

Evans doesn't have my size.. :(
    I don't really care about pedal weight, for now, but might be in the future. lol.