Suitable Lock For New Carbon Steed...

Avezius
Avezius Posts: 132
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Been considering a new bike for C2W this year - my first "new" & "proper" bike. Spent the last year on an ebay special ali cyclocross with Shimano 105s - swapped out the 35mm knoblies for 28mm durano's (no punctures either) when road riding, which is most of the time.

After much investigation, I have set my heart on a Ribble Gran fondo. :D I think it looks great, I like the curviness (and the paint job accentuates this) plus I'm not that bendy so think I would prefer a slightly more upright sportive frame rather than a racey one (I ride my cyclocross with the stem flipped up & I am more comfortable on the hoods than the drops even after a year of cycling). I also obviously want to get as much for my cash as possible & Intention is to sell the cross to help fund the purchase.

So - I intend on commuting & will have to leave it outside my office. The bike racks are in car park near our reception (with security guard - albeit old!) & quite a few people ride in. I can leave the lock(s) at work so save on weight - i'm more interested in the safety/price sweet spot.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Speak to the honch. Say your bike is worth a couple of grand and is not suitable for leaving locked in a bike shed. Mention the possibility of storing it in a storeroom or something similar. If you can also bring in a clothese horse, even better.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    [Weight of fully equipped, steel commuter bike] - [weight of carbon dream bike] = weight of lock to secure said carbon dream bike.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    MichaelW wrote:
    [Weight of fully equipped, steel commuter bike] - [weight of carbon dream bike] = weight of lock to secure said carbon dream bike.

Beat me to it, but there's a lot of truth in the old saw:

All Bikes Weigh 50 Pounds

30 pound bikes require a 20 pound lock.
    40 pound bikes require a 10 pound lock.
    50 pound bikes don't need a lock!

:D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    Speak to the honch. Say your bike is worth a couple of grand and is not suitable for leaving locked in a bike shed. Mention the possibility of storing it in a storeroom or something similar. If you can also bring in a clothese horse, even better.

My current bike normally sits in the (secure) IT stockroom during the day as I "havent-got-a-lock" for leaving it outside!!!

My excuse is kind fo wearing a bit thin tho. :roll: (although i'm dragging it out - my boss is a cycling nut & he parks his there too so banning me means banning himself! :lol: ). I can't really pull the wool over his eyes either as I'd imagine most of his bikes are worth a lot more!!!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,535
    get a big u-lock, xena xul series for instance

if the area is dodgy, supplement with a cable to try and keep the front wheel from getting pinched

security guards, ha! i had a bike pinched under the noses of security guards plus cameras, reality is they are probably bored and zoned out, certainly not bothered about looking for bike thieves
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I see your future in two parts.The first part is you worrying if someone is trying to pinch your bike.The second part is vague memories of your nice bike.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I see your future in two parts.The first part is you worrying if someone is trying to pinch your bike.The second part is vague memories of your nice bike.

Do you have a stall on the beachfront by any chance? 8)
  • I see your future in two parts.The first part is you worrying if someone is trying to pinch your bike.The second part is vague memories of your nice bike.

Do you have a stall on the beachfront by any chance? 8)

Yeah,but it's gaurded by donkeys. :wink:
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    To secure a nice carbon bike I would go for something like this:

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sk ... ock_100_cm

To be honest though, I'd be more worried about it getting knocked over and damaged. How about something like a Cannondale Caad 8/9/10 or similar?