Campagnolo Neutron Ultra v. Shamal????

miurasv
miurasv Posts: 345
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
My brother had pretty much decided to get the Neutron Ultra for his Colnago EPS after asking the question on here about the Neutron v. Neutron Ultra. He had ruled out the Eurus and Shamal 2 Way Fit as he found them to be excellent wheels, fantastically built, and look great but too harsh on previous bikes he's had. However, like Orange Julius said in his response to my thread on the RBR Forum, if tubeless tyres are used then the Shamal is less harsh. He said that using 85-90 pounds of pressure on the Shamal with tubeless tyres as opposed to 100 on the Neutron equals the comfort of the Neutron. With the comfort factor being very important in the decision process which wheels would you get, the Shamal or Neutron Ultra? Safety is obviouly a big plus in using tubeless tyres too. There doesn't seem to be that many tubeless tyres being available for sale at the moment but is that likely to change in the future? Thanks very much in advance for your replies.

Comments

• wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    What he likes the look of. Seriously.
  • I never found the Shamals harsh but decent tyres and tubes help. With the EPS your brother has got a quality frame there which will ride very well.

However, If comfort really is the overriding priority then go for the Neutrons/Neutron Ultra. Go Shamal tubeless if you want but there isn't really any tyre choice, so unless you really like Hutchinson tyres you are back to tubes (other tubeless tyres have been promised for a few years now...).

I think he is agonising over something (which I can understand ) when both wheels are great, so I am inclined to agree with the above poster.
  • miurasv
    I never found the Shamals harsh but decent tyres and tubes help. With the EPS your brother has got a quality frame there which will ride well. Go tubeless if you want but there isn't really any tyre choice.Go Neutrons / Neutron Ultras if he wants something lower profile.

I think he is agonising over something when all answers are great, so I am inclined to agree with the above poster.

Thanks for your replies. He's also thinking about Eurus now too as they're about £125 cheaper than Shamals. Are there likely to be more tubeless tyres available in the near future or haven't they caught on?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Neutron Ultra for me, the G3 spoke pattern on the Shamals would put me off .... guess i'm not into quirky spoke patterns.
  • wildmoustache
    Neutron Ultra for me, the G3 spoke pattern on the Shamals would put me off .... guess i'm not into quirky spoke patterns.

G3 is well proven. May not be any better of couse. FWIW in practice I don't think it's any better or worse.

Neutrons will give a more forgiving ride with clinchers at normal pressure. I'm not into tubeless so would lean towards Neutrons as well.

Other difference is that Neutrons wld suffer less in crosswinds.
  • giant_man
    I'm sure it is but it's not for me, can't see it being as stiff a wheelset as the Neutrons also. The lower profile surely helps this.
  • wildmoustache
    I'm sure it is but it's not for me, can't see it being as stiff a wheelset as the Neutrons also. The lower profile surely helps this.

Lower profile helps stifness? Not normally I don't think.

Stiffest Campagnolo wheel IIRC is the Eurus.
  • miurasv
    edited March 2011
    He's gone and ordered the Shamal Ultra. He said if they made a tubeless Neutron Ultra he'd have bought that. He's hoping/thinking that there'll be a better choice of tubeless tyres available in the near future in which case he'd need the 2 Way Fit of the Shamal Ultra or Eurus. He couldn't get the deal he was offered on the Eurus that he was offered last week so that's why he paid the extra for the Shamal which does have the Ceramic Bearings and Carbon Hub.
  • giant_man

Lower profile helps stifness? Not normally I don't think.

Stiffest Campagnolo wheel IIRC is the Eurus.
    Huh interesting thanks ...
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    @ miurasv He won't go wrong with the Shamals, they are a brilliant comfortable wheel and will match his EPS/Q admirably.
  • miurasv
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... PS%202010/

Thanks for your replies. Pics of the Shamal Ultra 2 Way Fit on the EPS.