Need advice on bikes to start looking at.

b0ldfacelies
b0ldfacelies Posts: 2
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, I used to bike a lot a few years ago but it was all bmx and street biking (was never to crazy at it but could do a few rails, staircases, ect. I want to get into mountain biking but don't want to buy a cheap bike, go out a few times, and have to start replacing parts. I will be taking it up to the local ski resorts during the summer and riding trails around PA. Any advice on bikes or companies to look for and which price range I would want to start to looking at, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's a PA?
    A bit difficult to tell you what price range you should be looking in.
    But if you send me your bank statements, DOB, address and mother's maiden name my Nigerian friends will help you out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You mention ski resorts, by that do you mean ones with bike friendly chairlifts and gondolas? In which case it wounds like what you're after is a proper DH bike.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except for the bit about riding trails.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought he/she meant uplifted assisted trails.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    PA = Pennsylvania?
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Depending on the exact type of riding whether it be XC or more gravity based riding the choice of bike will be different but usually hardtails tend to get good around £800 and above, while full sus bikes tend to get goof around £1200 and above.

But if you are in the US then not sure if the above applies. Things might work differently over the pond.

As far as which brands etc. Have a look around the local shops and see what they stock. Again as you sound like you might be in the US you will have different brands etc compared to over here. SO best to check what the local shops stock. that way its easy to get after sales support.