A question about Chinese carbon frames

2»

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    After transit checks have NOTHING to do with the quality of the item that comes from the manufacturing plant.

Like I said, crock of crap.

People who are paying £300 for a frame are getting the exact same item, produced in the exact same way, of the exact same materials, they just haven't got to pay the HUGE markup that the companies buying these products and re-badging them as their own slap on.

As for the R&D element, I would imagine that its all done in Europe and/or the US, each field I have worked in, I have been involved in the R&D side (I am a CAD person), and the manufacturing plant is just that, purely manufacturing.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    danowat wrote:
    Like I said, crock of crap..

I'm just expressing my opinion - it may be a crock of crap or not but the person I heard my info from gave me much more reason to believe that what he said wasn't a crock of crap than any of your points have.

Do feel free to be more polite if you like! You might even like to bother to read my posts and discover that I have said nothing myself that would suggest that I think that the £300 frames are different or the same as the big label ones; I don't know - I've not seen examples of both together.

I do have a Ribble Gran Fondo and it is very nice. Not a posh name bike but I'd have had no qualms about getting a £300 frame to make the bike instead but that wouldn't have saved me any money so it wasn't an issue.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • danowat
    That was on a different paragraph, and hence wasn't aimed at you per-say, more of a general comment.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    danowat wrote:
    That was on a different paragraph, and hence wasn't aimed at you per-say, more of a general comment.

Ahh right. Well, I probably agree with you on that one!

One question - are any of these direct sourced frames equivalent to the higher end frames? My Ribble is good but not as good as my Look. What actual model of Pinarello are the Chinarellos supposedly equivalent to?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    danowat wrote:
    As for the R&D element, I would imagine that its all done in Europe and/or the US, each field I have worked in, I have been involved in the R&D side (I am a CAD person), and the manufacturing plant is just that, purely manufacturing.

Your comment is the exact reason why I asked the original question.

I don't have a problem with people buying cheaper frames direct from the manufacturers but is it fair that they've bypassed the brand who have put a lot of time, expertise and money into developing the product? If everyone did this the brands who supply the brains for the product would go out of business.

If the European brands have put a lot of money into developing their product then it's only right that they recoup their R&D costs.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • danowat
    The same could be said for pretty much every other field of manufacturing.

Its an ethical arguement, and one that won't wrangle peoples minds too much when they are getting said item for a price thats 50% less than they should be,
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    Rolf F wrote:
    tx14 wrote:
    might be a sample of sort, because if it's frames ready for stickering, and they are binning so many, the company would go out of business in a month. the material aint cheap.

Fully finished I'd guess. As for going out of business - depends on the gap between manufacturing cost and retail as I intimated above. You can't really second guess the economics without really looking into it. In the case I heard of - remember we are talking about an Italian company. You know, the place where the factories shut down for 6 weeks in summer just as the new season bikes are due out........

I'd agree it superficially doesn't seem that sensible a route. Certainly I think it is rather wasteful but then, despite what people may have you believe, industry creates a lot of waste - eg what is the waste in the food industry? About 30% isn't it?
    but we the customers paid for that 30% of wasted food. if the manufacturer failed to deliver, they are the ones tanking the cost, the far east one i mean. maybe carbon is getting cheaper though, but i'm sure aluminum isn't.