An introduction to downhill

dan sharddan shard Posts: 722
So far in my mountain biking experience Ive been to various trail centres (llandegla, cannock chase, Nant yr arian, CYB etc) but as time goes by that downhill itch is getting stronger, is there a typical introductory place to go where I can get a feel for it? I dont want to throw myself in the deep end but if there is a bridging place between trail centre XC and downhill Id love to have a blast

• *AJ**AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Stile Cop, Cannock....
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,800
    Les Gets :D
  • style cop/ cannok
    Eastridge woods are quite good to start out at, nothing massive to hit, just tight.
  • pilsburypiepilsburypie Posts: 891
    +1 for Stile Cop Cannock. The red run is a great ease into downhill. Nice and flowy with nothing too hectic to hurt yourself on...... then there are plenty of other runs where you can do yourself a mischief..... (or you could find a curb to drop off :wink: )
  • *AJ**AJ* Posts: 1,080
    +1 for Stile Cop Cannock. The red run is a great ease into downhill. Nice and flowy with nothing too hectic to hurt yourself on...... then there are plenty of other runs where you can do yourself a mischief..... (or you could find a curb to drop off :wink: )

Indeed!

Check out my pics from Stile Cop...

p4pb6426699.jpg

p4pb6426708.jpg

p4pb6426719.jpg

p4pb6426732.jpg

p4pb6426771.jpg

p4pb6428610.jpg

p4pb6428612.jpg

p4pb6428617.jpg

p4pb6428623.jpg

p4pb6428626.jpg

p4pb6428632.jpg
  • dan sharddan shard Posts: 722
    that looks like a lot of fun!! Im assuming its close to cannock chase trail centre??
    PS do you think my Trek remedy 8 would be okay around there or does is warrant a bigrig? My remedy is 160mm FS
  • ricardo_smoothricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    160 is plenty for that sort of place
    Your remedy is great for Stile Cop. Seeing as images have been posted, here is the first drop on the red run. b-1.jpg
    I do like the look of that.

Im assuming theres a red and black route? Some of the drop offs Ive seen from other photos look quite err....big for what I would class as a red
    There are numerous runs.... all are graded black I think except the one named the red run! But don't get confused with the trail centre gradings. The red run is a nice flowing track with 5 or 6 drops like the above, none of which you would see on a red grade trail centre..... or many black grades for that matter.....

The first 2 pics from AJ are on the red run about half way down, possibley pics 3 and 4 are the red run too - not sure....
  • SlimerSlimer Posts: 50
    Might be worth checking out Farmer Johns at Stockport, North West Champs are there at end of May, its a push up event and Borderline races are a good way of getting into downhill racing, I found emphasis is on having fun as well as competing:

http://www.borderline-events.co.uk/nwmbc.asp

Eastridge again is a good move away from trail centre riding towards downhill without being too full on, loads of rocky rooty downhill runs that are easily done on a trail bike.

Enough said about Style Cop, the place is amazing, best place for bringing your skills on.

The Minton Batch descent at Church Stretton is also worth a ride, its an xc route but every bit as challenging as a downhill track if ridden on a trail bike at speed, check out the routes from Blazing Bikes or Plush Hill Cycles.

Climax trails at Machynlleth, final descent again if ridden at speed feels like a downhill track.

Uplift service at Cwm Carn if you fancy a trip away, a downhill track with a trail centre feel, as challenging as you make it but a riot if you ride it at speed.

Then around Shropshire the uplift services of Pearce Cycles and Borderline Events spoil us with quality downhill tracks to ride, these can be done on a longer travel trail bikes but you'l start to notice the shiny downhill bikes on display and from there you will always have holes in your pocket!
  • andrewyzfr6andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
    Ive been going to Fort Bill to use the downhill Track on my Orange 5 for two years. Next week the third season starts.......
    Just gotta get round to buying a downhill bike now!!
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • +1 for that DH itch, every drop, set of steps and jumps I'm trying faster, harder and higher :lol: quick question, would 120mm fuel ex up to the job at stile cop ?
    Scott Reflex 20
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

Work hard . . . . Play hard !
  • SlimerSlimer Posts: 50
    Yes ideal to start out with, then just see how you get on, if you find you're wanting to take on some of the bigger stuff start looking at a longer travel set up.
    +1 for that DH itch, every drop, set of steps and jumps I'm trying faster, harder and higher :lol: quick question, would 120mm fuel ex up to the job at stile cop ?
    I rode stile cop on that exact bike before it was nicked - now I ride it on my zesty - which is very similar to the fuel ex
  • ThewaylanderThewaylander Posts: 8,767
    Also Forrest of dean has a good few DH trails at all levels, adn the win for it is its only 10-15 min push up, you can actually beat the uplift van walking fairly easily lol.
  • jcmdannyjcmdanny Posts: 34
    i'm also thinking about stile cop as getting the itch too but i've only just bought my current bike, would it be ok on my kona caldera to try out before i think about buying something a bit more upto it.