20mm maxle squeaking

Cymru-ali
Cymru-ali Posts: 7
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
HI guys, I have a kona bike with recon 20mm thru axle forks with a no name front hub. After i washed it, its developed a kind of squeaking noise. I am no expert at bikes and am only used to quick relase, I've only just realised how to get the maxle out :oops: any sugestions on a fix would be appreciated :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the bearings need looking at/replacing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • not another bearing again to be replaced :shock: the thing is i have only had the bike three months, and have only been doing light riding mostly the the local forest with a hosepipe down after each run . If the bearing are shot allready, it makes me think is it better just buying a new wheel :? after some research the hub seems to be a no name formula hub with cratrige bearings. Is there a way i can regrease them ? aparentlly you have to knock the bearings out :roll:
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    if theyre cartridge then they are sealed for life so its replacement only Im afraid. Take the wheel out and spin the wheel on the hub. you should be able to hear where the squeak is coming from. Normally id say a squeak is associated with the brakes, where as a bearing is more of a grind / knocking noise
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Sorry Dan is a bit off there.
    Bike companies say the bearings are sealed for life, but they jut want to sell you new ones.

Most bike bearings are RS. on the side of the bearing there is a Rubber Seal.
    carefully pry that out with a penknife. Try not to damage it (it is impossible not to damage it, but the less damage the better).

for the full on job, you want to clear that grease out with plusgas (or if you are cheap WD40).

Now more the bearing by hand, is it smooth or grindy?

If grindy, cough up for some plus gas and rince it properly leaving the plusgas in there for a while (longer the better).

It should now be smooth, if not the bearing is shagged.

rinse out the degreaser (important step or the new grease will be broken down by the stuff there)

You can then either re-grease (my recommended is finishline ceramic as it is slick but most importantly the most water resistant grease I have found, so you maintain less often).

or if you want, just put some thick chain oil in.

Oil will make the bearing have less drag, but more maintenance.
    I occasionally run dry lube, faster still, but wears faster too.

The besring should now be either good as new or still crap.

If good as new, spend that £10 you just saved on cancer research.
    If shagged, there should be a code on the side of the bearing.
    put that code in to bearings.co.uk and order a replacment.

If no code, measure it, then put measurements in.

A good bearing brand to look out for is SKF, very high quality conventional bearing, will roll smoother and last the life of the bike if installed correctly.
    If not installed correctly it will die just as fast as a £3 bearing.

Install all bearings without putting any stress on the inner race. You do not need a propper tool, a threaded rod, a coin and the old bearing are enough.

hope that helps,
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cymru-ali wrote:
    not another bearing again to be replaced :shock: the thing is i have only had the bike three months, and have only been doing light riding mostly the the local forest with a hosepipe down after each run . If the bearing are shot allready, it makes me think is it better just buying a new wheel :? after some research the hub seems to be a no name formula hub with cratrige bearings. Is there a way i can regrease them ? aparentlly you have to knock the bearings out :roll:

well if they are gone they are gone.

strip clean and look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ok thanks guys, the strip and regrease method posted did the trick. It felt very gritty when turning the bearing by hand but the squeak only occured while turning the hub on the fork. Yes i did remove the caliper just incase it was catching but was definatelly the hub. Inside the hub was quite wet and looked like the grease had mixed with water and was basically getting washed out when cleaning with the hosepipe. After being degreased, i couldn't see anything visibly wrong with the bearings, so regreased, reassembled and the sqeaking had disappeared :)

Cheers guys