World cup/champ

.blitz.blitz Posts: 6,588
edited April 2011 in Downhill, freeride and 4X
Excuse me for being a bit thick but I was asked this question the other day and I'm not sure if I answered it correctly.

The DH World Cup is a multi-round series and last year's winner was Gee Atherton. The DH World Champ is a one-off event and last year's winner was Sam Hill.

Do they both get to wear rainbow stripes? And why do we have a series plus a one-off race?

TIA

• RevellRiderRevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Only the current World Champion gets to wear the Rainbow Stripes, previous winners get to carry rainbow stripes on their jersey/kit but not the full on kit.

A series and a one of race shows two different things. The World Cup series shows who is the greatest overall downhill by being the most consistent. The World Champs is the best rider on the day, which means it's able to be won by a wider range of riders
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,800
    Slight correction, the current world champion winner HAS to wear the rainbow stripes. Steve Peat nearly got disqualified for not doing so, at (IIRC) the Lisbon DH.
  • ceecee Posts: 4,553
    Slight correction, the current world champion winner HAS to wear the rainbow stripes. Steve Peat nearly got disqualified for not doing so, at (IIRC) the Lisbon DH.

I thought the penalty from the UCI was a fine (between 2500 and 5000 CHF)....

Also, obviously a National Champs Jersey, which has to be worn, unless you are World Champ...and isn't there a World Cup leaders jersey (similar type of thing to the yellow jersey of the tour de france....but not yellow...is it white?)
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,800
    I'm not sure, it's all very complicated.
    But, Peaty did have to rush to the bottom of the course to get his jersey, apparently :lol:
  • AlexAlex Posts: 2,224
    Ahem.

The UCI rule book states that the national champion must wear his or her national championships jersey during all timed runs (seeding and race runs). Currently this takes the form of the national flag worn on the sleeve of one arm.

Steve at Nant G, UCI stripes on the collar, 2010 British Champion sleeve.
    bdspractisesaturday19thmarch330_x.jpg

The world champion must also wear the World Champion's jersey until the next world chamionship, and after that is allowed to wear the World Champion stripes for life.

Mr Peat in a worlds jersey in 2010 prior to Hill's win.
    1stevepeatelitemensantacruzsyndicatebritishdownhillseries2010round4moelfrecategorywinner138_x.jpg

The world cup or national series champion gets a nice medal and lots of sponsorship money. They don't have any UCI obligations as a result.