Shoes

davidmiller
davidmiller Posts: 320
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I ride SPD SL's on the road but have only used flats on the MTB. However, I'd like to clip in so was thinking about buying some of these to put on the MTB and then just using my road shoes.

I would like to have the choice of using spd sl shoes or normal flat shoes without having to change pedals.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7808

What is the difference between SPD and SPD SL?

Cheers,

David

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Those pedals are useless with normal shoes. In the wet they are positively hazardous.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    SPD and SPDL cleats are different. SPDL cleats won't work with SPD pedals. Some shoes are compatible with both but you would have to switch cleats each ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Cooldad has covered the main points, I would just add that SPD's are designed so that you can still walk in your mtb shoes and so that the mud clears easily. SPD SL's are not what you want to be riding your mtb in.

A lot of people, including myself, do the opposite to what you are suggesting in using SPD's on their road bikes, but I've never heard of anybody using SL's on an mtb.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    I've got those pedals and I do ride short distances in normal shoes etc. Obviously grip is pretty pants when compared to regular flat pedals the extra surface area makes it easier on the foot.

It's fine for short rides to work or the shop etc when SPDs are a pain but certainly not suitable for offroad :/