Broken Park Tools TW-5 trorque wrench

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited March 2011 in Workshop
I've just gone to raise my carbon seatpost so thought I'd pull out the trusty TW-5 torque wrench to make sure the seat clamp was appropriately tightened but it doesn't work! :( The rachet system seems to have come loose. Less than 2 yrs old, never dropped, never taken beyond 11 Nm torgue and always returned to zero torque when finished fettling.

Has this ever happened to anyone on the forum, or does anyone know what Parks warranty / after sales service is like?

I have a feeling their torque wrenches only get 12 mths cover, which at over a 100 sniffs seems a bit mean.. :!:
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Park Tools have a Limited Lifetime Warranty, unfortunately torque wrenches get 12 months :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,859
    if you bought it in the eu you have two years guarantee - it's the law

http://ec.europa.eu/publications/bookle ... /64/en.pdf

long version http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_int/ ... _final.pdf

contact the retailer, they are the ones who have the obligation (not park tools)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks both. Typically haven't kept receipt so will contact Park Tools direct and see if there's any goodwill on their part :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Perhaps the pawls in the ratchet have gunked up? Try squirting a bit of the old WD40 in there and give it a wiggle.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    You may also be able to send it back to get repaired/serviced - worth an email.

If they can't do anything, contact your local (professional) tool supplier (the guys who drive around in the the big Snap On/Mac/Facom vans that sell kit to the garages, not Machine Mart) and they may be able to recommended a firm who can have a look - t/wrenches need re-calibrating every few years so they may know someone who can help.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    undoing things with torque wrenches can wreck them. only use them for tightening. its easy to forget.