WD40 In the bolts?

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
not really as it will wash out.

if you have to do some thing a bit of grease or Vaseline could be used but may cause more issues. IE if it comes out and get on brakes etc...
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• Buy some stainless bolts? No rust :D or I use ACF50 as I use it on my motorcycles, its used in aerospace to combat corrosion but it isnt cheap.
  • or, as butch as this sounds.... use clear nail varnish to paint the insides. mine have never rusted in 3 years, same for my stem bolts etc.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Have to ask, why bother? Its a MTB, its gonna get scratched, dented etc... a little poxy surface rust aint going to cause any issues...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    ratty2k wrote:
    Have to ask, why bother? Its a MTB, its gonna get scratched, dented etc... a little poxy surface rust aint going to cause any issues...

+1 on that.

I swapped all the bolts on my bike from stainless steel to carbon steel.

easier to use, stronger, but occasional bit of surface rust.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    krust by hammerite is a protection you paint on, it kills rust and forms a protective layer. The idea is you paint over this layer but personally I have also used it on bear exposed metal parts. It does discolour them (dark purplish) but it looks a lot better than rust.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    :lol: You'll be long bored and sold the bike and replaced it before the bolts get rusty enough to cause a problem!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    there is more to just looking bd, they can rust up so when you insert allen key to undo, all that happens is you make a nice circle where once there was a hexagonal hole.

generally I fit stainless steel bolts - in most places it is not strengtht critical but I don't use them for the stem.