idea but will it work

iiimetattroniii
iiimetattroniii Posts: 3
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
hi

im thinking of getting a surly pacer frame
adding a shimano groupset
http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/groupsets-c129/shimano-ultegra-6700-10-spd-double-groupset-p92575
and a bar like the one below where i will put the brakes
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/profile/airwing-aero-handlebar-ec005140
i want the gear shifters to go on the downtube.

what groupset can i buy where i wont have to fork out for brifters i wont need?
strange setup i know but i find these bars to be the most comfortable for riding and obviously i cant put the shifters on the ends of the bar where the brakes are

thanks for any advice

none of these components are decided on yet

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You should be able to order the groupset without the STIs. Madison don't list the groupset as an item as there are so many different combinations of components, chainset - 11 options etc.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Have you ever used downtube shifters? There's a good reason why very few people use them these days....
    More problems but still living....
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Surly recommend longer brakes than the Ultegra ones as well, so you may be better of buying individual parts.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Whats the purpose of the bike ?

Down tube shifters arent that bad TBH - they lasted many decades. Obviously the STI and Ergo shifters are more convenient though.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm off out on a bike with DT shifters tonight cos my proper bike's still in bits.

Not looking forward to it TBH. It was second nature using them as a teenager, but that was 30 years ago.
  • keef66 wrote:
    I'm off out on a bike with DT shifters tonight cos my proper bike's still in bits.

Not looking forward to it TBH. It was second nature using them as a teenager, but that was 30 years ago.

how was it?

this bike will be for commuting during the week and longer rides at the weekend
    basically crank arm snapped on the bike i was riding and i feel its time for a change
    ive already got reasonable wheels, a saddle and a stem so wanted to buy a groupset,frame, and bars.
    previous bike was a racer with drops, previous to that an mtb with flat bars
    ive found my hands generally sit on top of the bars or at the point where a drop bar would begin to curve down
    i thought an aero bar would be a nice compromise apart from the problem with gear shifting! putting the shifters on the downtube is my way of getting round the problem with the bar ends having brake levers only.
    ive tried a few single speeds (not fixed) and always found i didnt have enough top end..no offence to any single speeders out there just personal preference so i need a derailleur

anyone got any good advice on frame choice?
    budget about 500 quid for frame/forks, pref steel

ive got a bit of cash and figured it was time to build a bike how i wanted not off the peg, just wanted some advice cos

A) there is sooo much choice
    B) everything is expensive
    C) ive never done this before
    so cheers for anything anyone can add.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    I had a bike once that had the shifters mounted on the upright part of the stem although that was a quill stem so might not work with aheadset systems.