Fork set up

dan shard
dan shard Posts: 722
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive just been trying to set my RS lyrik forks up. Specifically the high and low speed compression. The manual Ive downloaded from Trek talks about how many clicks from slow, but when I looked at the fork the dial says 'hard' and not 'slow/fast'.

So which way am I supposed to be counting my clicks from??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which end of the fork are you looking at? top or bottom.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan shard
    Top. There are two dials on the right stanction at the top saying low speed compression and high speed compression
  • dan shard
    Which reminds me, it also say that I should set the rebound at 11 clicks from slow, but theres only 10 clicks. Ive just put it in the middle as normal (5 clicks)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well i suppose hard could read as slow
    the Sram manual covers it quite well.
    COMPRESSION DAMPING

External High and Low Speed Compression Adjustment

note: mission control offers adjustable “low speed” and “high speed” compression.

speed refers to how fast the suspension fork compresses through its travel, not how fast the rider is moving on the bicycle! increased compression will make the fork feel “hard”, while decreased compression makes the fork feel “soft”.

Low Speed Compression

Low speed compression is tuned primarily for small bump feel and rider based inputs. This includes pedal bob, weight shifts, and brake dive. Increased low speed compression will also cause the fork to sit higher in the stroke under normal riding. This can help make the bike feel more stable.

Low Speed Compression Adjustment

Low speed compression is adjustable via the small silver knob on the top of the right fork leg. Sixteen clicks or 4 full turns of adjustment are available. Turn the adjuster clockwise to increase low speed compression. If the high speed adjuster begins turning, you have reached the max adjustment on low speed compression.

High Speed Compression

High speed compression is tuned primarily for square edges or drop landings. Increased high speed compression can help prevent bottom out on bigger impacts.

High Speed Compression Adjustment

High speed compression is adjustable via the large blue knob on the top of the right for leg. Twelve clicks or 3 turns of adjustment are available. Turn the adjuster clockwise to increase high speed compression. The low speed adjuster will turn with the high speed adjuster. This is normal, and does not affect the low speed compression setting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan shard
    Nice one. sounds like I set it up right