Sportive bike and gearing for older rider

BRIDKID
BRIDKID Posts: 51
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
This is a bit long winded as I have no cycling friends to share my thoughts with so need
to resort to the more experiended riders on here.
Anyway I currently have an Alu CX bike with SRAM Rival 46/36 chainrings and 11-26 10
speed cassette with Panaracer Pasela 28x700c tyres. It is my only bike and is used for
'do it all' functions. I am looking for a 2nd bike to use as best for the better weather
but the choice is bewhildering and gearing is a headache.

I am fortunate enough this year to be able to afford something in the 3K or more bracket.

My riding is all hilly with some fair drags and steep inclines. Even going on the flat
and downhill I am often still on the small chainring as I like to 'spin' and don't have
the leg strength I had 30 years ago (now in my 50's - KFC have approached me for
permission to use my legs in their chicken adverts!). Even with a strong tailwind or a
long straight downhill run on the 46 ring I have never once used the 11 sprocket. Using
a gear chart I reckon I 'like' to spend most of the time in around a 65" gear. Going up
hill I am soon on the 26 sprocket and it is a real slog pushing upwards which spoils my
enjoyment.

I cannot decide if I should go for a triple or a compact. I really like the SRAM
shifters which I guess rules out a triple. Anyway, although a triple would definitely
suit for the bail out lower gears, aesthetically I like the look of a double better. I
realise you should buy a bike for how it rides but I reckon most of us like a bike that
appeals style wise. I think therefore I have come down to SRAM Force compact groupset, with better wheels (no idea what) and some lighter 25x700c tyres. SRAM Red may be 'better' but the chainrings look horrible to my eyes.
Most compacts seem to run 34/50 and cassettes are usually down to a 28 or even a 32
with SRAM Apex. Non Apex cassettes seem to be 11-28 or 12-27. The 28 tooth is more
useful I guess although I would prefer a 12 at the top. So is a 34/28 going to be a big
noticeable difference on a much lighter bike and would the 50 chainring get much use?

If I enjoy the bike more, I will ride it more, get fitter, gets even easier to ride so
enjoy it more etc.As for bikes and frames themselves I do not need mudguards or rack fittings and like a more upright position. I hope to be able to get up to doing a century on it one day but
most rides will be 2-4 hours. I do like a black/white frame with shiny poilisged Ti a

close second. I have researched the market and come up with the following choices.
1. Lapierre Sensium - love the bike stying but poss rejected as the price is too high

for the spec. Here is a link to the bike - http://www.lapierre-

bikes.co.uk/lapierre/road-bike/2011/sensium-400--cp-2011/specifications
- You can the styling I like but even under budget at 2.5K it doesn't offer value for

money.
2. Cannondale Synapse - from what I can gather seem to be difficult to buy. UK bikes

don't seem to offer Force (US ones do).
3. Custom build on a Cervelo RS frame.
4. Custom build on an Enigma/VN/Lynskey/Sabbath Ti frame.
5. Anything else I should consider.

Choice is difficult as I have no LBS with anythig other than Raleigh.
As I will be spending a fair sum I want a bike to last. I read that Ti lasts for life

but surely a looked after carbon frame (no winter/wet weather use) will do me for 10 or

more years?

Anyone make sense of my ramblings or offer personal advice?

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Here's my bit fwiw

Triple is good because you can have a good range of gears with a closer range block. Compact is good because you are used to that. Get a compact and chain the rings or get the set without the rings and add what suits you. I'd be tempted to 48/34 or 36 with a 12-27 (11-28?) in 110 bcd so you can change ringd easily. Similarly triple, you could go to Middleburn/TA/Stronglight and run eg 48(46)/36(34)/26 with eg 12-25 or even 12-23. I'd be looking at maybe Enigma or Sabbath as my choice in that list (nothing wrong with Lynskey or VN) and poss. Planet X. A Ti/carbon mix should be nice. Can't comment about SRAM but they will prob.offer a triple lever at some point.
    M.Rushton
  • I'd never thought about going for non stock chainrings but that makes sense.

What does 110 bcd mean? I'm not too well up on bike technology.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    110mm bolt circle diameter.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/crank_gb.htm

In the case aboove you can see that the Squale is desined to look like SHimano but you can choose you crank length, a spider and rings to get what you want. You will need a square axle bb tho (Stronglight/TA/Campag/Royce/Phil Wood do them) and if you go triple you'll need a 111mm or poss 115mm axle to accomodate the small ring. The bike people you choose should be able to advise you on that
    M.Rushton
  • A carbon frame will last FOREVER

BridKid Where are you?

My bike of choice in this price point is The Trek Madone and I have owned one of the last 4 models and keep going back to them as one of the most comfortable bikes I have ridden.

Chainrings can be changed to suit any rider but don't forget a 34 inner ring is Standard now and it seems the 28 tooh cassette is also standard. Gives a bottom gear of 33 inches. You could go as low as a 32 tooth sprocket using a Rival Rear mech giving a bottom gear of 28.6 inches.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • mrushton/ derosa - thanks for the extra info. Just had a browse and see Stronglight do chainsets as well so I could go that route (but they do seem expensive)

downthroad - I'll look at the Madone, not one I have researched. I am located ER of Yorks.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    BRIDKID wrote:
    mrushton/ derosa - thanks for the extra info. Just had a browse and see Stronglight do chainsets as well so I could go that route (but they do seem expensive)

downthroad - I'll look at the Madone, not one I have researched. I am located ER of Yorks.

With a name of BRIDKID, he couldn't be anywhere but ER :wink:

Big H

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Having suffered / enjoyed compulsory annual holidays in Bridlington from an early age, it never crossed my mind that there are people on the forum unfamiliar with the location of Brid.
  • Holidays there you have my sympathy. AS a southern hemisphere boy I usually had sun and warmth for summer holidays. That far south is in the middle of the southern ocean.
  • keef66 - I was almost ceritified as insane when I decided to retire here ;-)

On the plus side the Wolds and NY Moors are great countryside and the Whitby Rail trail is one heck of a great traffic free ride.
  • +1 for the Madone, BRIDKID (although the last thing you need is everyone coming on here and recommending their favourite bike :D ).

I had to make a similar choice about a year ago at age 50 and although I'd been cycling lots it was mainly commuting on a Brompton or my Ridgeback tourer (with a triple) so I was very worried about climbing and fitness generally. I ended up getting a compact 11-28 with a 50/34. Haven't had to get off and walk yet :)

Understand what you mean about the aesthetics. Me too.
    Trek stockists in Hull & York - don't think there are any closer to Brid.

http://www.kenellerkercycles.co.uk/prod ... oad_Racing

http://www.yorkcycleworks.com/products. ... d=m1b0s6p0

Big H

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi Bridkid

At the price point you have indicated it is unlikely that you will get a road/ sportive bike that is specced with a triple crankset as an option. I would guess >99% will have a Compact. So you might have to consider buying a frameset and building to it to your requirements.

Another option a but further down the price range is the Cube Agree GTC Race or GTC Pro models. These are German made carbon frame bikes that seem to get some excellent user feedback. The link below takes you to the Cube GTC Race listing on the Cube website.

http://www.cube.eu/en/road/pro-composit ... -gtc-race/

If you look at the spec description you will see that you can opt to have it supplied with a triple ot a compact crankset - and this is all in Shimano Ultegra!

The nearest stockist for Cube to you is Bob Tratter cycles in York. Might be worth a thought.
  • Cube frames are not german Same applies to focus and most Italian brands who tell you otherwise
  • Thanks for the links guys. One of the Madones runs an Ultegra triple. I expect the triple versions are more sportive oriented, can't see a racer using a triple!
    Does it get second nature switiching bikes and shifting systems and/or does anyone have both Sram and Shimano to compare to?
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I'm really pleased with my Cube GTC Race (compact 12-27), very comfortable and 34 x 27 is good enough to get me up most lumps, and I'm on the bigger side (6ft and 14st at the moment).

50 x 12 is fine for up to 40mph or so, not that I regular get up to that.

Can't get another bike for a while, but I would consider a Ti frame from Justin Burl's, they are made in Russia but can be made on a bespoke basis - he has some great reviews.

http://www.burls.co.uk/index.php

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • BRIDKID wrote:
    Thanks for the links guys. One of the Madones runs an Ultegra triple. I expect the triple versions are more sportive oriented, can't see a racer using a triple!
    Does it get second nature switiching bikes and shifting systems and/or does anyone have both Sram and Shimano to compare to?

34/28 will be low enough for all but touring so go for the 5.5 in Force. Or order a frame and have it made up in rival to lower the costs.

PS Have nothing against the performance of cube etc just get annoyed when brands tell outright lies as to the origins of their bikes.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd get the Synapse.

I have triples on my tourer and road bike because I live in a very hilly area. I seldom need the granny ring but when I do I'm glad it's there.

I think your solution is to fit a mountain bike rear derailleur and cassette. You can go down to 32 or 34 teeth that way. A road mech will only cope with a 27 or 28 even it's a long cage type. The mtb derailleur will be fine with your levers. Just get a SRAM or Shimano to match your shifters. This is often done on touring bikes.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    As you have such a healthy budget and you have them on your shortlist I would give Mark Reilly at Enigma a ring. These guys really know what they are doing and will spend time with you designing exactly what you want.
    I am 55 and have an Enigma Echo with Campag Chorus group. I have a compact with 12/29 cassette and find that this set up is perfect even for the toughest.
    As you mention if you want an even wider range Sram Apex is a a good bet and has received very good reviews.
    On a final note I would steer clear of a triple, they are almost redundant with the wide range of options available on a modern compact.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    On a final note I would steer clear of a triple, they are almost redundant with the wide range of options available on a modern compact.

In many ways that's true. But a triple may let you run an 11-23 instead of a 12-29, that gives you a closer set of ratios with less of a jump between them. Easier to find just the right ratio.

The other fact is that if you have a low inner chainwheel on a compact you limit your upper gears to a 50 on the outer. That said if it wasn't for the fact one of my regular runs is up Cairngorm mountain I'm not sure I'd keep my bike as a triple.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Thanks for all ther help and advice guys.
    After 3 hours looking round the web at every bike imaginable I was nearly swayed by the Wilier Gran Turismo (boy does that bike look good) but its not upright enouhg for me.
    I can't see a Madone colour scheme that I like and in the end Titanium 'shiny' finish just doesn't have the 'ahh' that a nice paint scheme does - so I have come back to the Cervelo RS.
    Take a look here and enlarge the pic - looks good eh?
    http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2011/RS/
    I will go the SRAM Force compact route. A decent specced bike is well under £3k as well which leaves afew bob for pedals and shoes etc.
    I'll post some pics and a review when I get one, be about 6 weeks or so until I have enough money. Roll on summer .....