How skinny can I go?

garrynolan
garrynolan Posts: 560
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hiyas, I have 26x2.5 knobblies - how skinny can I go to put road tyres on? Would 26x1.5 be OK? Ta very much. G.
Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
exercise.png

Comments

• depends completely on the rim
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I would not go to skinny myself as I didn't like how harsh the smaller road tyres were on the bike.
  • jacob2910 wrote:
    depends completely on the rim

Hi, what do you mean? Ta. G.
    exercise.png
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You have wide tyres, presumably your rims are fairly wide as well. Skinny tyres on fat rims won't work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    A good question is why you want skinny tyres.

With my bike I run either knobblies or slicks, the size on both is about 2.4".

Schwalbe Big Apples.

Very fast tyre,

It also has another major advantage in that you can still ride your bike like an MTB, so hucking flights of stairs, smashing into curbs at 20mph and riding walls is all good.

p.s. the wall riding is speculation, my skills arnt there yet =-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • OK - maybe 'skinnier' tyres is a more accurate description of what I'm looking for. Just need something more suitable for the road as the bike will be ridden by my 15 year old niece and definitely won't be offroad.
    exercise.png
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the rims are?

you can go down to 1" on some rims.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Am still thinking that the big apples are worth considering, they are a cruiser tyre.

but yeah, we need to know the rim, or more specifically the internal gap size.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?