Polar Cadance Sensor

Carlos274
Carlos274 Posts: 6
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Hi All,

Just fettling with my new bike and can't get the Polar Cadance Sensor to work properly. The speed sensor and bar mount are sorted and this is starting to peck my head. The frames Carbon (if it makes any difference) and I'm trying to fit it to the rear chainstay as per the Polar Site, I've got the space between the crank arm and sensor down to the reccomended 4mm and it works when just spinning the cranks in the stand but when on the rollers there's nothing being recorded.

After a bit of Googling it seems I need to mount it on the down tube just below the bottle cage, is this right as it doesn't look that great.

The unit is only a month or so old so that rules out batteries and it has worked without any issues on the previous bike (aluminium frame)

Any body got any ideas??

Cheers
Carl

Comments

• I've got one, and to be honest, I've found its a bit S h it. Doesnt read reliably no matter where I mount it.

Mines on the seat tube below my bottle cage and it works best from that position. I think replacing the crappy crank magnet with something stronger like an old cateye magnet should do the trick. If not, don't waste your time, take it back and get a replacement on warranty!
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Use a neodynium magnet. They're about £2.50 for 10 from fleabay. They are so strong you just put them on the inside of the crank where the pedal attaches. They stick there under their own force and no glue or cable ties needed. The cadence sensor just needs to be somewhere close to the path of the magnet to register.
    I lost my cadence magnet which was strapped in place about an inch from the pedal and replaced it as above. I didn't bother moving the Garmin GSC-10 sensor to line it up and the magnet now passes about 1 centimetre beyond the sensor and it works fine.
  • Cheers Guys,

I've been out there again tonight and attached the sensor to the seat tube just under the bottle cage as said. I've also packed the magnet out in the recess on the crank arm with some thin 3m double sided sticky pad and then a wrap of black insulation tape which you can't notice and all's well and working great.

I'll look into the neodynium magnets on flea bay as spares, just in case
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Finally got round to taking a picture. Hopefully you can see the magnet sticking out from the pedal axle held in place by its own magnetism. Also note it is not lined up with the sensor, the line showing where the magnet should pass is between the R and M of GARMIN. Its a bit more than 5mm away also.
    (Yes I know the bike needs a clean, and I've now removed the old cable tie which used to hold the supplied magnet)

5508662975_1e3f0559c7.jpg
    cadmag by twostage, on Flickr