Think I might have killed my carbon forks...

radders89
radders89 Posts: 35
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I have stupidly tightened up the tensioner screw on the bung for my 3T Funda carbon forks but without having the top cap in place first so the bung now appears to be completely wedged.

Any ideas on how to remove it? I've tried screwing in the tensioner screw a few turns and then gently tapping it. I've also tried pliers to pull on the screw but neither is budging the bung....

Please help.

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    It's difficult to know what you mean without knowing about the design of the bung. Usually you would tighten the bung without having the top cap in place, how would you get access to it otherwise? But maybe the bung on this fork has a different design - is it tightened using the same screw that tensions the headset?!? (the one that goes through the top cap). If so, are you sure?

The bungs I have seen have their own sockets for tightening them independent of the top cap screw. There is usually a slot for a large diameter allen wrench, in the center of which is a smaller hole for the top cap screw to go into. If you screwed the top cap screw in all the way and kept going, it would eventually reach its limit and start tightening the bung indirectly. But this isn't how you are supposed to do it. :wink:

Assuming you have identified the correct socket/screw for tensioning the bung, the big question is how tight was the bung in the steerer before you tightened the screw? If it was loose and could move up and down freely then the best thing would be to unscrew the tension screw as much as possible and then give the bung a sharp(er) tap from the top. Then once it is loose it should just slide out easily (if it is like mine it will come out in bits, but you can put it back together again). If the bung was a tight fit even before the screw was tightened and it doesn't come apart, then I guess you might want to avoid tapping it further into the tube..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not sure I understand the problem. Surely the bung is meant to be securely lodged in the steerer tube. Why do you want to remove it?? Or is it in the wrong place and you want it further up / down the tube??
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    My guess is that the OP has misunderstood how the bung works and is under the impression that tightening the top cap screw secures the bung and tensions the headset at the same time. It's quite easy to make this mistake if you don't notice that there is a larger allen wrench socket for tightening the bung.