Reba with SID internals?

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I opened my 08 reba races last night to do a full service. They should have looked like this: Reba08Manual.jpg

But the air side internals actually looked like this:
DSC01102annotated.jpg
Which kind of looks like the SID internals: SID08manual.jpg

Amy idea what's going on? The wavy metal ring doesn't seem to do anything, it just rattles about on the shaft.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• bails87
    Not sure if the images are displaying properly. It might be best to right click and 'view image' to be sure you're seeing the whole thing.
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    Anyone?
    MTB/CX

• I've just serviced my Reba's and the internals looked the same as yours. The seal kit I used was for Reba's and they fitted fine.
  • bails87
    Ok, as long as it's a mistake in the manual rather them a mistake by whoever built my forks!

Thanks
    MTB/CX

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Are they black box? I think the internals may be different.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • bails87
    No, standard motion control. But that would affect the damper side wouldn't it?
    MTB/CX

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have just had my Rebas stripped down and they look different to both sets of pics. Possibly they have different internals on different specs of fork are yours OE forks.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bails87
    Yep, they're standard off my boardman.
    MTB/CX

• "Yep, they're standard off my boardman."

That'll explain why mine look the same then :lol:
  • bails87
    :lol: could be!

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the two metal rings (parts C & D) do? Because parts B and F are always the same distance apart, so the rings are free to settle at any angle on the 'shaft' and then they just rattle about.
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as an OE fork they could have anything in them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    They probably just affect the air/oil flow a bit, giving them a slightly firmer tune.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • bails87
    Perhaps, but the space between F and H is the negative chamber, and the space above/to the right of H is where the positive air would be. So the B to F section seems like 'dead space', I don't know if any air would be moving, and there's no significant amount of oil in there. I suppose the pressure might change if air gets past F, from the negative chamber. But part B is fixed in place at the bottom of the upper leg, so it's 'static'.

Not saying anyone is wrong or right just trying to understand what's going on in there!
    MTB/CX

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    bails87 wrote:
    Perhaps, but the space between F and H is the negative chamber, and the space above/to the right of H is where the positive air would be. So the B to F section seems like 'dead space', I don't know if any air would be moving, and there's no significant amount of oil in there. I suppose the pressure might change if air gets past F, from the negative chamber. But part B is fixed in place at the bottom of the upper leg, so it's 'static'.

Not saying anyone is wrong or right just trying to understand what's going on in there!

Take em off, and see if there is any difference. If it explodes, put them back on, if not, you've made your bike 3g lighter 8)
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I like puzzles like this, but this seems bloody confusing.

The only thing I can think is that D is supposed to be on F as well supporting the seal with the other clip holding it is place.

Otherwise, maybe it is there to provide a rattling noise to make you think there is a fancy damping circuit moving =-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • I reckon the two thin washer type thingys are oil scraper rings, like you get on car engine pistons.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    That would make sense
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?