Cycling to work "Biggest cause of Heart Attacks"

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... auses.html

As any city cyclist will know, riding your bike in heavy traffic can be, metaphorically speaking, a heartstopping experience.
But now research has found that it is literally one of the biggest triggers of heart attacks.
In a new sliding scale of everyday risks that prove the ‘final straw’ in bringing on a heart attack, spending time in traffic – as a driver, cyclist or commuter – tops the list because of factors including stress and exposure to pollution.
But of these, cyclists are in greatest danger because they are more heavily exposed to pollution and are subjecting themselves to another major heart attack trigger, exercise.

Hmmmm...

Comments

• Daily Mail you say?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Doing exercise can cause a heart attack is not really news is it?
  • Oh Good God.

Now we can't exercise because it causes Heart attacks!!!

Seriously. Are these people actually part of the same gene pool as the rest of us?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Stop reading the Daily Mail

You're only upsetting yourself
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Stop reading the Daily Mail

You're only upsetting yourself

+1

I read it when I'm feeling a bit lethargic as it gets my blood boiling :D
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • As the Daily Mail are clearly just trying to scare cyclists off the roads to make more room for those that actually pay road tax :roll: , are the CTC or BC standing up and calling them out on this nonsense?
  • it also says that you shouldn't give up walking, running and cycling in cities and towns and ‘If someone wants to avoid a heart attack they should focus on not smoking, exercising, eating a healthy diet and maintaining their ideal weight. a tad contradicting.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited February 2011
    An odd one. Obviously, if you are going to have a heart attack, physical exercise could well trigger it but stress? Why would I get much stressed commuting by bike? The main cause of commuting stress for me was always congestion but that doesn't affect the bike commute. On Monday, my round trip too and from work took 1 hour, 46 minutes and 10 seconds. On Tuesday it took 1 hour, 46 minutes and 11 seconds.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Let's all stand in line and form an orderly queue to 'educate' Rick, from Coventry.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sounds like in anycase that the research has been hopelessly misunderstood by the usual not very bright journo.

Also nice to note that all the anti cycling comments have overwhelmingly negative ratings and the pro cycling ones are all positive. Unless that just means that only cyclists are bothering to rate them :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The only bit that scares me a bit is the pollution aspect. I just read this http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/ar ... reat-28264
    Maybe it's worth getting a pollution mask..
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Frankly, given that a sweaty deep breathing cyclist is proven to give out more CO2 than a modern and efficient small car, bikes should be banned altogether.

Arf arf

I love this guy!

For one I'm convinced!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    "Bikes are a scourge. They should pay compulsory road tax, 3rd party insurance and require an annual test to check on the condition of brakes etc. The cyclists should be forced to take a proficiency test including the full Highway Code and should face large fines for failing to wear hi-lux clothing, helmets and displaying proper lights at all times. They should also be compelled to display a number plate so that they can be caught for the many crimes they commit. Frankly, given that a sweaty deep breathing cyclist is proven to give out more CO2 than a modern and efficient small car, bikes should be banned altogether." Andy McNathan, Belfast, 24/2/2011 6:54

Fantastic bit of trolling :D
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    Standard DM trolling: ignore.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

IS HEALTH & SAFETY GIVING MIDDLE BRITAIN SWINE FLU?

Enough said.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I thought it'd been shown that drivers are actually sucking in more pollution than pedestrians and cyclists?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Reading the Daily Mail can give you a heart attack caused by increased blood pressure from reading such cr*p:wink:
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    A glance at the lowest rated comments makes me think that the DM message board has been infiltrated by cylists writing dumb DM style stuff. 'Cylists should pay tax and have insurance...' LOL!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Was tweeted this at 8am today and had a laugh before I started work and read segment out to the work colleague who goes jogging and smokes and told him to stop the jogging as it is bad for him, smoking is OK. Made me feel a whole lot better for vegging on the sofa scoffing curry and lager whilst watching TV. :roll:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    AndyOgy wrote:
    Let's all stand in line and form an orderly queue to 'educate' Rick, from Coventry.

He must be the Rick from Coventry who spells his name with a silent P in front of it :lol: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    What's a cylist ?
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    So this is what happened...

Writer reads that a study has found that some of the biggest causes of heart attack are
    1. Being stuck in traffic
    2. Exercising
    3. Pollution

Writer thinks "Hmmm... now how can i make this into an article that the DM would consider publishing."
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    This video explains so much and should be included in the OP of any thread that refers to that rag I wouldn't disgrace my ar$e by wiping with it after a particularly large edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfV3OuN57Bk
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I love this bit, it's the fulcrum for the whole article, and has simply been magicked out of thin air by the author:
    Article wrote:
    But of these, cyclists are in greatest danger because they are more heavily exposed to pollution and are subjecting themselves to another major heart attack trigger, exercise.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,587
    In other news, living is the greatest cause of death.

:roll:
  • Here's a thoughtful and pellucid interpretation of the study and a critique of the DM's shoddy reportage:

Pollution heart risk is unclear
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/02February/ ... -risk.aspx
  • hmm, my understanding is that cyclists have a risk of heart failure that is a fraction of that of the general population. The research doesn't actually seem to mention cyclists, seems the DM have just plucked that out of their backside.
  • hmm, my understanding is that cyclists have a risk of heart failure that is a fraction of that of the general population. The research doesn't actually seem to mention cyclists, seems the DM have just plucked that out of their backside.
  • ct4oc
    ct4oc Posts: 98
    hmmm, evidence based practice says this is a load of!
  • There are no known cases of dead Daily Mail readers ever suffering from a heart attack. Not many more accounts of living people reading the Daily Mail either.