Garmin 800... different microSD card?

zexel
zexel Posts: 54
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I've just bough the Garmin 800 bundle with City Navigator maps on microSD.

I copied and pasted the entire contents of the microSD onto another card for a backup plus the other card is a class10 microsSD so I thought it might speed navigating the map up a bit. So I put the backup card into the 800 and it came up with 'cannot authenticate maps'.

Have I missed something? Why won't it work? What if something went wrong with the original microSD card?

I'd would really like to use the class10 microSD.

Comments

• curium
    curium Posts: 815
    I thought the Garmin cards are digitally signed.

Try the Garmin forums.
  • Perhaps theres something in the Garmin micro SD cards that prevents them being copied, or else anybody could make lots of copies onto micro SD or DVD and flog them off cheaply, ive got the OS 50k card and when using on the laptop you cant print anything, its just copyright protection i suppose.
  • zexel
    zexel Posts: 54
    Yep, as above. Found the Garmin forums.

Can only work with the original card.

"...The Map on the SD-Card is linked exclusively to this one SD-Card (afaik by using the serial of the SD-Card). So you cant copy the card!

I never had trouble with my CN-Card so far, but I would expect Garmin to replace the card if it stops working..

Edit: Some time ago I've read that it is possible to backup the SD-Card contents to your PC. In case you accidentally deleted the map on the Card you can copy it back and it will work again (since your card is still the original one with the correct serial)"