Hell of the Ashdown

mrc1
mrc1 Posts: 852
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Any one doing it?

I'm off just after 9am - looking forward to it
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm of at 9:17. Hoping for decent weather - looks cold but dry at the moment. No ice would be a bonus!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It's not quite shorts weather which would be a bonus.

Off at 9:17 too. Aiming for 4h45.
    exercise.png
  • 0828 for me.

Whats an average time for this ?

Sat weather is appalling, Sun is looking ok. Lets hope it stays like that ... !
  • 8.50am for me!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    pastasauce wrote:
    0828 for me.

Whats an average time for this ?

Sat weather is appalling, Sun is looking ok. Lets hope it stays like that ... !

Average times in the past have been very slow, mainly thanks to various forms of H2O in it's solid state for the last two years.

Riding in a blizzard was fun until the gritter overtook me (2009)
    then last year the classic Road Closed sign with an A4 piece of paper attached "Sportive riders proceed with caution" I walked that section and felt like a dog on lino.

Should be less challenging this year
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • mrc1
    Anyone got past experience of the chances of being able to find a spot in the car park at the start?

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    mrc1 wrote:
    Anyone got past experience of the chances of being able to find a spot in the car park at the start?

Never had a problem with it, there're plenty of streets in town if the car park does get full. I think I might cycle down there this year though.
  • mrc1
    BigMat wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Never had a problem with it, there're plenty of streets in town if the car park does get full. I think I might cycle down there this year though.

Nice one - coming in from Essex so riding in or getting the train is a no go!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    BigMat wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Last year was ok as half the riders never turned up.

2009 was a nightmare. The school has limited parking and Jail Lane fills very quickly.

I'd get there early to bag a spot.
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Last year was ok as half the riders never turned up.

2009 was a nightmare. The school has limited parking and Jail Lane fills very quickly.

I'd get there early to bag a spot.

Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely leave earlier than first anticipated! :)
    FCN 8.
  • Important route imformation
    Just put all the route arrows up today and there is a road closure at Hever Road approx mileage change to route.
    13 miles Left no sign post
    13.5 bear right under rail bridge
    14.6 R@ TJ B2026
    15.4 L sp Lingfield Marsh Green Road

also at 29.6 miles L sp Wych Cross Coach Road [not Hatch Cross Coach Lane]

Have a safe ride