KMC x10 chain removal

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited February 2011 in Workshop
Hi all
bit of a dunce question, but I have a grubby KMC x10 chain attached to 105/fsa mix group which needs a good clean. How do you take the chain apart???? :oops: :oops: I have chain rivet remover tool, or is there a different way of removing it :oops: :oops:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Does it not have a removable link? I've put KMC links in my Shimano chains to facilitate easy removal.

Give it a bit of a wipe and look for one link that looks slightly different from the rest. If so, clean it up with lots of WD40 and see if you can push the adjacent links together to separate it. Much easier with KMC link pliers or similar
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    It does have this link, thanks
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    +1 for quick link pliers - I've got a decent Park Tools one and it is ace.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I had difficulty removing a KMC quick link at first and gave in. Then I re-read the instructions and it really is easy although there is a knack to it. I do it like this :-

Get the chain in your left hand so that the quick link and the link either side form a triangle with the link at the top. Squeeze the middles of the links either side between your thumb and forefinger so that you are applying pressure at both ends of the quick link.
    Squeeze the two sides of the quick link and it should click and collapse in.

Took a lot more time to describe it than do it.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    edited February 2011
    Double posting deleted. Wonder how I did that ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's cos you typed it twice!

Good tip though. I have fashioned a kind of heath-robinson contraption out of a wire coat hanger cos I was too mean to buy the pliers. They are on my christmas list though!
  • + 1 for the pliers from Parker International.