Swapping Wheels/Cassettes - Is it Down to the Chain?

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
edited February 2011 in Workshop
Hi,

I have some Mavic CXP-22's on my Spec Allez, have been solid enough but wanted something a bit snazzier for w/e runs and sportives so have got myself some Fulcrum 3's.

Now the headache, I have put a new 12-25 cassette (Tiagra HG-50 to go with groupset) on my Mavics which works fine and a new chain (HG-53). On my Fulcrum's, as they are shiny, I have a 9-speed Ultegra cassette (12-27, think its the 6500). Problem with this is the chain jumps all over the place no matter which gear its in when I put the Fulcrum wheels on and is basically useless!

Wondering if this is down to the chain, I think each cassette has a different chain spec (ultegra wants a HG-93 I think) but didn't give this any thought beforehand.

Any suggestions to how to fix this problem? Options I have thought about are buy another Ultegra cassette for Mavic's and the HG-93 chain, just buy another HG-50 cassette for the Fulcrum's, buy another chain and switch when I switch wheels.

I am hoping for a simpler solution though, any ideas?
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• Hi there. An old chain will skip on a new cassette, likewise a new chain may slip on an old cassette (cassettes usually last a few chains, though). You may find it works OK if you have a chain for each cassette, they don't need to match the spec of the cassette, they just need to have a similar age as the cassette.

Either that or the spacings may be different on the wheels, so you may need to re-index.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I use two wheels with 105 cassettes and switch them over without changing the (KMC) chain. My chain is relatively new and not showing any sign of wear as yet.

Neither wheel skips.

If your new chain and Tiagra cassette combo works okay then my guess would be that the Ultegra cassette is worn.
    I am hoping for a simpler solution though, any ideas?

So, have you tried indexing?

Both my road bikes are Shimano 105 geared, but if I swap one rear wheel for another I need to tweek the index just a bit to stop the jumping. I'd imagine it to be worse if it's between HG50 and Ultegra as the cogs on the ultegra will be much more profiled.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Both cassettes are new and chain is new so in theory I thought it would work, I will have another go at indexing but last time I tried it didn't seem to make that much difference to the chain skipping, a bit more stable on the inner gears descending into chaos as I moved towards either edge of cassette when running on the 50 chain ring.

I noted on the instructions for the cassettes it recommended different chain types and wondered if there was a simple workaround. Maybe a trip to LBS at the weekend will help!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Your indexing shouldn't get worse as your track across the cassette. It should either be all right, or all wrong.

The inner cluster are all mounted on a spider and the smaller rings are individual. It sounds like the individual cogs may have been put on wrong, or not been nipped up with the correct torque (40Nm is ringing the neck off it with a large spanner!)

When you say 'skip' do you mean hunting between gears or sudden loss of traction as the chain doesn't bite on the teeth? Hunting for gears would sound like a cassette tightening problem.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Simple mate :D You have to re-index after each wheel swap as the hub is in a slightly different position on the Fulcrum wheel. Just follow this video and all will be fine :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ
  • ADIHEAD is right- the cassettes are spaced identically but sit slightly differently in the bikeop as the hubs are different- also remember that as your biggest sprocket is bigger on your new cassette so beware of big/big combinations- check first to see if it runs before riding.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    ADIHEAD wrote:
    Simple mate :D You have to re-index after each wheel swap as the hub is in a slightly different position on the Fulcrum wheel. Just follow this video and all will be fine :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

What he said.

I haven't seen the vid (no youtube at work) but also make sure that your lower limit screw is correctly set as the hub flange spacing might be slightly different and you don't want your derailleur striking your spokes.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks for the tips guys, will have a go.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130