Cannondale Synapse or Cube Agree GTC

golfergmc
golfergmc Posts: 426
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Just wondering if I am better going with the bike with the better frame(supposedly Synapse) or the better spec`d bike(Cube Agree), http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/cannondalesynapse105carbonracingbike2011.aspx?&id=15306
or this,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57234.
Any opinions welcome.
Cervelo S5 Team 2012
Scott Addict R2 2010
Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
Kona Tanuki Supreme

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi Golfer

Leisure Lakes are agents for Cube also

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=15382

so if you have a branch near you give them a call and ask if they can arrange to have both models available for you to test ride.

I've seen plenty of recent posts that seem to enthuse about the Cube Agree bikes but you'll also get the Cannondale fans tossing in their twopenny's worth.

As I've said before - there's no substitute to getting your leg over both bikes and buying the one you like best - irrespective of what the spec looks like on paper
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Yup - a I agree with the above, try them both.

I haven't checked out the geometry but though the Synapse was more Sportive based and had a more relaxed geometry to the Cube Agree - I could be wrong.

Cube are not as well known as Cannondale but don't think that their frames are second class. My Agree GTC Race feels very responsive but is still comfy for 4 hours in the saddle and probably more if I had the legs :lol:

Beware of Cube sizing though, they tend to come up small when compared to the other brands.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Agree (no pun intended), you have to try them

I have 2008 Carbon Synapse and love t, but also to add weight to that I also rented a CUbe when I was in Majorca in October. OK it was an Ally frame, but it handled well and was compfortable for the 90Km Idid.

RIde, them make your choice
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I would be doing up to 60 miles at the weekend so would a sportive frame suit better and would I notice much difference in 105 and ultegra.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    golfergmc wrote:
    I would be doing up to 60 miles at the weekend so would a sportive frame suit better and would I notice much difference in 105 and ultegra.

That's a question for you? How flexible are you? Do you get neck/back pain? Some riders manage 150miles on bikes with aggressive geometry without much trouble. My neck and back hurt after 50 :cry: I went for a Synapse for this reason but you may not have the same issues?

105 or Ultegra? If I were buying purely a groupset, the reason I'd go for Ultegra over 105 would be to get the lighter chainset, you get an FSA chainset with the 'dale anyway so it's not an issue. The rest of the components are just as slick, you get some carbon in the STI's on Ultegra but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
  • It used to be I never got any back or neck pain but the last few weeks my neck has been giving me trouble and i`ve not even been on the bike that much, the chain wouldn`t be a problem as I have a new dura ace chain waiting to got on.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    ADIHEAD wrote:
    golfergmc wrote:
    I would be doing up to 60 miles at the weekend so would a sportive frame suit better and would I notice much difference in 105 and ultegra.

That's a question for you? How flexible are you? Do you get neck/back pain? Some riders manage 150miles on bikes with aggressive geometry without much trouble. My neck and back hurt after 50 :cry: I went for a Synapse for this reason but you may not have the same issues?

I'm 42, 13.5 stone and got back into cycling just over 2 years ago. I got back into it with a M/L Giant Defy which I still use as a winter bike/commuter. I'm not the most flexible and have had lower back issues in the past, I find the Cube, size 58, very comfortable and in fact a nicer ride over distance than the more upright Defy. I've done up to 85 miles and hope to do a ton sometime this year.

I've not ridden a Synapse but I'm sure that it is also a great bike.

I reckon that the chainset on the Ultegra is the most noticable upgrade from 105. For someone of my level I probably wouldn't notice any real difference between the two.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    The Synapse.. but if it were my cash it would be a Giant TCR Advanced. 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • For the record I'm a big Cannondale fan!

But + 1 for trying both bikes out.

And to answer your question.... buy the bike with the best frame

I would buy the Cannondale, but first choice would be one of their aluminium frames
    in preference to the Synapse.

I did buy a Synpase to replace my then 5 year old R800 but still prefer the Alu Caad 8 !
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    golfergmc wrote:
    It used to be I never got any back or neck pain but the last few weeks my neck has been giving me trouble and i`ve not even been on the bike that much, the chain wouldn`t be a problem as I have a new dura ace chain waiting to got on.

Try both then anyway as another 'post' says the Cube's comfortable anyway. Dealer should be able to advise on this if they're worth their salt. Would keep the Durace chain in the cupboard until you've worn out the one on your new bike. You won't notice a jot of difference between a 105/Ultegra/Durace chain IMHO.
  • The ooly reason I got the dura ace was because it was cheaper than the ultegra I had, I know I won`t notice the difference :D
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • taimur
    taimur Posts: 173
    I am a cannondale fan, was going for the CAAD9 105 2010 but budget pushed me down to Synapse Alloy 105. Just before taking the plunge came across some posts here praising the Cubes. Checked out their offerings at chainreactioncycles.com and saw some Ultegra equipped stunners in budget.

From that point, took 4 months of research to convince my self that Cube was the one i wanted to gamble on.

Bought the Cube Agree SL 2010, 7k race alloy frame. full equipped bike weighs 8kg. Ultegra kit, stiff!

i am loving it. if you decide on a Cube, check with CRC first for a good deal.
    1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
    2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
    2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
    2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components
  • Hi GMC,

Glad to see months later you're still no closer to taking the plunge!!! lol.

I was inches away from buying the Agree but took the plunge on a 2010 Moda Stretto for £1999.

Its due to arrive today so i'll post a pic when it does. I bought it from Cycles UK who were very helpful (and took my cyclescheme voucher). If you want to see one first ring Roe Valley cycles, I think they are the only ones in NI that get them.

I was swayed by the 'near superbike' review in cycling plus, the force groupset, and the £499 american classic wheels. It has full carbon stem and bars too so no need for any upgrades.

***Note, alot of shops told me they can only get the 2011 Stretto for £2499 and the only thing thats changed is the decals. This is not true, Eurobike still have 2010 models for £1999.****

Good luck! Heres the link for you too drool over -

http://www.cyclesuk.com/104-312020?sid=1f5c4420c0f5c450
    fellow cyclists please visit - www.justgiving.com/markfaloon
  • I`m drooling, very nice bike, may you have many hours enjoyment riding it.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme