posting abroad

smep
smep Posts: 339
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Hello please could anyone kindly advise.
I am selling a mountain bike and need to post it to Indonesia. Does anyone know of a decent and relatively cheap service.
Thankyou
Steve

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes keep it.

just about everything to do with cycles and Indonesia is a scam.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Depends on what you mean by relatively cheap. Unfortunately in my experience, while limited, is that any postage abroad is stupidly expensive once you get to the size of a bike.

I got quoted upwards of 200 by the standard Post, DHL and UPS companies to ship a bike from Austria to England, which is a fraction the distance as to Indonesia.
  • www.interparcel.co.uk

They have lots of options avaliable
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I used this to send some wheels to Sweden.
    It's like a parcel price comparison site, brings up a few options and you pick the one you like.
    Service I got was excellent, picked up when they were supposed to, and delivered to buyer within a few days.

http://www.postagesupermarket.com

But Indonesia - that's going to cost serious money.

And what Nick said - be very wary of giving out bank and personal details.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    smep wrote:
    Hello please could anyone kindly advise.
    I am selling a mountain bike and need to post it to Indonesia. Does anyone know of a decent and relatively cheap service.
    Thankyou
    Steve

Do yourself a big favour and keep hold of it.
    Guaranteed you'll end up losing your money.

Best to lose £5 and sell it in the UK
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so the deal in Singapore fell through?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... =#16548328

take care
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • smep
    smep Posts: 339
    Hello,

Thanks for the helpful advice.

For info and in response I was hesitant about posting the bike to singapore and readvertised on here. The guy seems very genuine and appears to be willing to arrange and pay for the post from there.
    I am also going to ensure the money gets paid into a separate account...so we will see.
    Would have been a lot better if someone from the uk would have bought it though !!

Hope this clarifies things.
    Again Thankyou
    Steve