Garmin Edge 800? To buy or not to buy?

VintageGt
VintageGt Posts: 33
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Ok guys, I'm sure this has been discussed but I have searched and can't find any previous on this specifically.

The short story is I'm looking seriously at forking out a substantial wedge on the Edge 800 and have seen some very varied reviews on it. Some say it's great, some say it's glitchy and the firmware isn't up to scratch.

Just wondered if anyone out there has one and has any good/bad direct experience with it.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Buy it, it's much better than the 705 but get a screen protector, as there have been issues with trying to clean grit out of the edge (no pun intended) between glass and case, causing small chips around the edge of the glass.

I have one it's great!
  • markmod wrote:
    Buy it, it's much better than the 705 but get a screen protector, as there have been issues with trying to clean grit out of the edge (no pun intended) between glass and case, causing small chips around the edge of the glass.

I have one it's great!

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. It's an amazing piece of kit, if it does what it promises and it seems there are plenty folk who share your view. It's turning into a must have piece of kit I'm afraid, much to the disdain of the wife!!
  • I've got the 500 and it's been superb and would defo buy the 800 if I did more rides on new roads. The speed sensor can be a bit hit and miss though. On one bike it works perfectly, on another it doesn't pick up properly. Same head unit, tried all sorts with magnet, set up etc.
    Team mate has same problem with his.
  • Seb when will the site be up and running?
  • ive had my 800 for two weeks now and done 10 rides and 200 miles on it, it picks up satellites very quickly, and the mapping,ive got 1:50,000 OS GB on micro SD card, works really well,that was my main reason for getting it,ive found the touch screen works very well,but out on a ride when your using sweaty fingers they can smear the screen making it harder to read,i carry a bit of cloth in my back pocket now,if this happens, to wipe it clean,on 2 out of 10 rides so far the GPS has gone awol for a second or two,typically giving several bad waypoints and depending what software you use to download your rides to,that will affect the distance and speeds,Garmin Training Centre seems to ignore it although it shows up on the map trace,but i use SportTracks and on that you get silly top speeds and added distance, good news is, on SportTracks you can edit out bad waypoints on the map page and correct the ride,these are minor gripes though,and really i,m well pleased with it so far,the Garmin forums can be mine of useful information if you have problems.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Definately buy it if you can afford one.
    I wanted to use it so I could plan a route at home that would take me all over the back roads and where ever I wanted and not have to worry about getting out my iphone or map to check where I was. The 800 fits the bill perfectly.
    I bought mine from Primera before Christmas with 1:50k O/S maps and cadence/heart sensor for £350. It is just a brilliant bit of kit. The only down side I have found is the lack of instructional support that comes with it. You need to download a manual from the Garmin website or just spend a bit of time getting to grips with it.
    Even on the turbo it offers something - I can race against my best time with the 'ghost trainer'.
    Buy it - you won't regret it!
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    sopworth wrote:
    The only down side I have found is the lack of instructional support that comes with it. You need to download a manual from the Garmin website or just spend a bit of time getting to grips with it.

Not strictly true. The instruction and quickstart manuals are included in the unit itself. You just need to copy them onto your PC / Laptop.

I have had mine now for about 6 weeks and love it. I have used several different map sites to create routes and they have downloaded into the machine and work without problem.

I too have both the cadence and HRM bits, the only issue I had was when my foot knocked the bit attached to the chainstay. It just needed twisting back and no problem thereafter.

My screen is not yet scratched but I am going to fit a screen protector to see how that works.
  • Roger - the web site will launch around May 1st. I want to avoid blatant advertising here as that's not ethical. But it should be around that time. I'm in a testing phase of different frames and wheelsets, both track and road. I'll be riding and racing on the carbon frames and wheels over the next few months to test them to destruction in the worst of the weather the North of England can throw at me.
    I will only sell kit that I am 100% confident to ride and race on every day. The web designers will be putting a holding page up soon for people to enter their details and register their interest before the launch.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    As Seb said above - the Garmin 800 is great if you are going to use the mapping function. For the majority of rides that I do, I wouldn't use the mapping function and therefore the 500 would have been a cheaper and smaller/lighter option. But the maps have been pretty good when I've used them.

My main frustration is around the 3 bike limit (doesn't help me for instance with my single speed, my "good" bike, my winter hack and my cross bike) - also you can pick up extra sensors such as the O-Synce Macros2SXcom from places like Wiggle for a lot less than the additional GSC10s. The heart rate monitor is very good too.

I really like it - it is an extravagance, but one I appreciate!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    As Seb said above - the Garmin 800 is great if you are going to use the mapping function. For the majority of rides that I do, I wouldn't use the mapping function and therefore the 500 would have been a cheaper and smaller/lighter option. But the maps have been pretty good when I've used them.

My main frustration is around the 3 bike limit (doesn't help me for instance with my single speed, my "good" bike, my winter hack and my cross bike) - also you can pick up extra sensors such as the O-Synce Macros2SXcom from places like Wiggle for a lot less than the additional GSC10s. The heart rate monitor is very good too.

I really like it - it is an extravagance, but one I appreciate!
  • i am only just getting in to cycling but i have already been thinking of buying something like this. however, then i came across this:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=14493

so have changed my mind now.

is there much difference with the garmin edge 705?
    i would like to buy one as im only cycling in minor roads and dont know them very well.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    markmod wrote:

I have one it's great!

I'm not doubting you as I have never tried both but I got a 705 for Xmas and am really pleased with it - what am I missing out on?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    i got my 800 as soon as they became available here in the UK. i'm very impress with mine so far and it has met my expectations.

the interface is very good and easy to navigate, battery life is great, mapping functionality is great for someone like me with no sense of direction. i also love the huge amount of data this thing gathers and can display.

i only had one issue/bug that was affecting navigation but this was fixed in the first/recent software firmware upgrade.

if you want some more opinion here is my in depth review:

http://www.bicyclecenturytraining.com/b ... 00-review/
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Buttrd2 said:
    I'm not doubting you as I have never tried both but I got a 705 for Xmas and am really pleased with it - what am I missing out on?
    Not a huge amount, and the 705 is brilliant in my opinion but the 800 is better. Among the features that I like are:
      the larger screen (that was my main reason for buying it as my eyesight isnt great) auto scroll of the displays so that I can have larger displays that automatically change every few seconds. In this way I can have at least a dozen info fields that I can easilly see a much better mount - this may sound trivial but the 705 mounts are fiddly and have been known to break, leaving your precious gps skeetering down the road
    auto zoom at junctions
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Never regretted buying my 705, you will never regret your 800, although I will seeth with jealousy. :evil:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Appreciate all the feedback guys, thank you all. Still mulling it over, it is an extravegance indeed but one I do feel would 'pay me back'.