Campag ultra torque cups, black or grey?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Are the black super record BB cups the same as the grey record version except for the colour? I prefer the black but have record group.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I 'think' they are. Haven't seen both but when ordering an UT chainset from Merlin and the Record cups to match, it gave me the option of both colours.

If that helps??
  • I believe Super Record uses ceramic bearings and are unsealed, while the Record version has a rubber seal. Someonme has told me that you can take the seal from Record and put it on Super Recored, thus allowing the use of black cups with a Record set-up.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    RC856 wrote:
    I 'think' they are. Haven't seen both but when ordering an UT chainset from Merlin and the Record cups to match, it gave me the option of both colours.

If that helps??
    I just saw that but the black ones say SR. I have seen on Total Cycling that indeed the SR do not have seals which is why they are 1 gram lighter!. Looks like grey cups then.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rc856
    Now I'm a bit confused! When I ordered the UT chainset, I went for the matching BB.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... B-CUPS.htm

It does indeed have a rubber seal. Is that it? Do I need bearings?
    What's best?

When I put the BB over the crank arm to see what it looked like (isn't on the bike yet) I did wonder about bearings etc :?
  • Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • rc856
    Flanners1 wrote:

Excellent. Cheers