Scott CR1 Pro? Advice needed

haveitmyson
haveitmyson Posts: 38
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi All

Put a post on here about felt AR3, went to my shop who stock them and ended up walking away with the thought of the Scott CR1 pro. I am 6,1 186lbs and tend to ride with a group of mates twice a week only about 30/35 miles but full on! but will look to do more maybe sportives. just wandered if anyone has one of these, what do you think?. The other suggestion was a tarmac expert.

The Scott seems a cracking deal and i have up to 3k to spend so any upgrade advice would be great eg £500 should make it great

cheers

Comments

• foget to mention sizing they say a 58 My trek is big a 61 probably too big in truth. Anyone that's got a cr1 comments regarding size would be great
  • Get measured and then get the right bike. they may just be selling you the one on the shelf to be rid of it.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    foget to mention sizing they say a 58 My trek is big a 61 probably too big in truth. Anyone that's got a cr1 comments regarding size would be great

I have a 2007 CR1 Pro in a 58 and I'm 6ft. It's probably more closer to a 59 and is a little big for me, regardless of trying shorter stems etc. It's a cracking machine and even with it not fitting quite right I've achieved golds in most of my sportives and it's been up most of the major climbs in the Alps ok.

Due to the sizing I ended up using it as a turbo/winter bike and I now ride a 2011 Cube Agree GTC SL in a 56 after having a pro bike fit.

The CR1's are lovely machines but the fit needs to be right to get the most out of any bike.
  • don't think so they didn't have my size in? just suggested that its a really good frame etc. and would suit the rides i do
  • sampras38
    don't think so they didn't have my size in? just suggested that its a really good frame etc. and would suit the rides i do

I think the CR1's geometry is quite forgiving and so I can see why someone might say they'd be good for Sportive's etc, but the fit is THE most important thing.
  • Cheers, I mentioned fit and measuring up etc, they said we just put you on the bike and start flapping about etc almost do it from the eye and my feedback? they have been long established and have good road teams etc !

Cheers
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    3k to spend on a bike to do 30 mile rides on ? Seems a bit excessive ?

Really just go and ride a few bikes from the shop and see what you like best. Over a grand or so - you'll not notice an appreciable difference in performance - so go with the one that fits you best and feels good.

A bike that may have £500 off the list price isnt a bargain if its not the right fit for you.
  • I commute daily on my alu trek including the winter, as such its not the healthiest machine in the world.

I work hard and enjoy my bike, people spend 3k on a 10 day holiday in a flash so no i don't think its excessive
  • Cheers, I mentioned fit and measuring up etc, they said we just put you on the bike and start flapping about etc almost do it from the eye and my feedback? they have been long established and have good road teams etc !

Cheers

This is WRONG you need to be measured. Anyone can tell you anything by looking at you. They need a starting point which is a physical measure and a flexabilty test
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • ok i hear what your saying with a measure and i agree. despite what i fancy it is important to get fitted up.

maybe ill contact another scott dealer and see what they propose

cheers
  • I commute daily on my alu trek including the winter, as such its not the healthiest machine in the world.

I work hard and enjoy my bike, people spend 3k on a 10 day holiday in a flash so no i don't think its excessive
    +1
    If you feel you've earned it and you want it, go for it. Whilst I agree that over 2K you won't notice a massive performance increase, you shouldn't feel like you're 'not allowed' it because your not going to race it or whatever - just get it and enjoy it.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • looks like i have found a scott dealer who seems able to understand the importance of being measured up to insure it is the optimum fit. so il be going to see them and take there advice on best bike for me, go for a ride and go from there
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    If you are anywhere near Epic, give them a go. Superb service and keenly priced. No link, just a satisfied customer.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    boblo wrote:
    If you are anywhere near Epic, give them a go. Superb service and keenly priced. No link, just a satisfied customer.

Second up for Epic Cycles, you can test ride them get fitted and have the cost of the fit refunded when you make your order.
    Just one other thing to mention..... I test rode the CR1 and the Addict and plumbed for the Addict as I do lots of sportives and found it a tad more responsive , great on the climbs. They are doing a great Addict R2 Cosmic Edition for £2850 and your bike fit is thrown in effectively. Weighs in a little over 15lb!! nice for my 51cm frame.

Link.... http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Scott_Addict.html :lol:
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    That R3 in matt black is stunning.

790g for the frame :shock:
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I have the CR-1 team in 58cm and I'm 6'3". Fit is great and I find it very comfortable for long rides, trips across Pyrenees etc. Trouble is it is my first and only road bike so could be crap compared to the alternatives, but I suspect not.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    sampras38 wrote:
    foget to mention sizing they say a 58 My trek is big a 61 probably too big in truth. Anyone that's got a cr1 comments regarding size would be great

I have a 2007 CR1 Pro in a 58 and I'm 6ft. It's probably more closer to a 59 and is a little big for me, regardless of trying shorter stems etc. It's a cracking machine and even with it not fitting quite right I've achieved golds in most of my sportives and it's been up most of the major climbs in the Alps ok.

Just a note, I think the 2007 CR1 is the old (racier) geometry - the current CR1 is more relaxed. The OP should bear that in mind when reading older reviews and posts.
  • majormantra
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    That R3 in matt black is stunning.

790g for the frame :shock:

The R3 actually has the slightly (100g) heavier frame but it's still lovely. I've got a 2010 one in shiny black and white and it looks stunning. The matt finish is probably even nicer.

I bought it as a complete bike with the 105 stuff and then swapped in my Campag groupset. Handling the naked frame was pretty astonishing - it is just unbelievably light.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 wrote:

Just a note, I think the 2007 CR1 is the old (racier) geometry - the current CR1 is more relaxed. The OP should bear that in mind when reading older reviews and posts.

I think you might be right.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720

+ 1 for Epic and for the CRI. I went and tried four bikes on my shortlist including the CR1. I ended up buying a Bianchi Infinito but it was so so close and I would have been more than happy with the Scott. You cant beat back to back test rides. Agreed it is a bit ott for your rides at present but better to buy something decent if you can afford it now than to upgrade next year.
  • I have a 2010 CR1. this is the year the new sportive geometry kicked in. i got the tiagra version and then upgraded it to ultegra and DA as it worked out cheaper than buying the pro.

its superbly comfortable and yet very stiff and agile. i also put carbon bars on which also improved the ride. also changed the wheels out to eastons

the frame is around 100g heavier than the addict frame from memory. i did london paris on it and it was great for all day riding
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Thanks everyone for the advice, sometimes its great to hear what you kinda all ready thought!

Interesting to hear about the upgrades on the cheaper version, the thought had crossed my mind too seeing as the frames the same but hadn't really gone into costs etc

One thing that has been said a few times is that a 35 mile ride a couple of times a week means that a 3k bike is excessive?

just wondering why people say that? is it because during that 35 mies i ride I average 30 mph and climb like a monkey, or because i sprint like a grey hound? should i be worse than this to qualify?

Is it because you cant possibly feel the quality or benefit in a nice bike until you have covered 50,000 mies?

I think I am starting to understand, people doing time trials needn't spend anymore than a grand.......................they do not qualify?
  • majormantra
    One thing that has been said a few times is that a 35 mile ride a couple of times a week means that a 3k bike is excessive?

Do what makes you happy, assuming you can afford it. Many of us don't ride as much as we'd like to in theory - but having nice kit helps encourage us.
  • boblo

It's just disguised willy waving. Whatever you do, there'll be someone along who'll trump it with a 'you don't need that for that' comment and claim to be doing n times your mileage on lesser tackle.

Reality is, you don't need a nice bike to cycle 30 miles per week. A £10 Gumtree special will do. However, you may not enjoy the experience much and if you would like a nice bike and don't need to sell a kidney/the children to fund it, go for it... It's your disposable income isn't it?

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Ended up with a CR1 Pro and enjoy riding limited mileage on it. I ride much more on my tourers, MTB's and tandems but really enjoy my 'plastic' mileage and don't regret the investment. It's nice having nice bikes.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720

Seems youre a bit touchy about the mileage comments. Its nothing to do with willy waving, just simple economics. If you do 35 miles twice a week, averaging 35 mph as you claim, then you are only using the bike for 100 hrs a year. At £3000 that works out to £30 every time you ride it - quite expensive for just riding with your mates. If you are indeed a time trialist and have reached the point where you need to spend big bucks to improve, then fair enough. Otherwise some would say that you have more money than sense - but hey - its your money.
  • No not touchy about miles at all, as i said looking to do longer rides this summer. i just wanted to get more of an explanation as to why spending 3K was perhaps excessive?

So its all down to economics then! and nothing else?

Thanks for the info
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    No not touchy about miles at all, as i said looking to do longer rides this summer. i just wanted to get more of an explanation as to why spending 3K was perhaps excessive?

So its all down to economics then! and nothing else?

Thanks for the info

Just spend as much or as little as you want. It is entirely up to you and your pocket. To some £3K seems a lot, to others not much. So yes it is economics, but relative economics.

If you have the free cash, then go for it. If you are doing it via credit, then perhaps you are overpaying for limited benefit. Your call.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Buy the best you can. Buy the one that will make you happy. Buy the one that you will dream about riding when you're sat in the office. Buy the one that will give you the biggest grin when you're out with your mates. You only live once.

Say nay to the naysayers!
  • boblo
    And.............be ready for some git to go past you on a Raleigh Shopper or a supermarket BSO or some such. Dunt matter what you spend, there's always someone better/faster/stronger who'll dish out a reality check.

Buying nice tackle is about the joy of ownership. You can't put a price on that or rationalise it with (dull) economiocs.

Parallel?: I don't drink alcohol but really enjoy my coffee. So, I invested £1000's in espresso kit for home use (nearly as much as you're spending on yoru bike). The price per cup is horrific, cheaper to take a taxi into town and go to a coffee shop but... It's what I enjoy and no one had to suffer/go without to fund it. And, I really really enjoy my coffee now :-)

Do it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think it was me that said it was a bit OTT ?

By all means spend 3k on the bike if you have the dosh and want to - but dont expect a ride to be 3x better than on a 1k bike. Its diminishing returns.

I'd not spend that much - my best bikes probably 1500 or so - but I also have a good few others for different purposes - so for 3k you could get a stable of bikes. Very decent road bike, winter hack and mountain bike too. Or spend the change on a cycling trip to the Alps - time it so that the Tour is on and you'll have a whale of a time.

I think bike companies have caught onto the MAMIL trend (I'm not saying that you are one) but its an easy thing for a guy to go into a bike shop and be talked into a very expensive bike that he maybe doesnt really need.

Happy Cycling anyway.