Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Drivetrain

bobgfishbobgfish Posts: 545
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi All

I have a black 5600 Series Shimano triple drivetrain that is nearly worn out. Only done 4500 KM and need to get a new Cassette and another chain as well as front 39T chainring.

Would the Ultegra Cassette last longer than than the 105? Should I get the 5600,5700, 6600 or 6700? Or would one of the SRAM Cassettes be a better buy and last longer? One option I do have is just replacing the worn 15/16 tooth cogs. Plan to use a KMC chain as many have said they are the best and my last Shimano chain only lasted 1400Km before it cracked and broke.

Also with the 39T front chainring do I have to use a 105 or would Ultegra fit and would the Ultegra last longer?

Getting sick of replacing parts...(and the expense)

Thanks

• bcssbcss Posts: 174
    to be frank it sounds to me that your drive train is not well maintained, I would expect a chain to last c. 4,000 km (exchanged mine at 3.800 but was only 75% through) and a cassette c. 8,000 km, that's at least if you do a full service every +/-1,500 (dry) km

Also you should not let the chain run completely down as the wear on the rest of the drive train increases significantly in the later stage of the chain
  • bobgfishbobgfish Posts: 545
    Well it's been an average winter with lots of snow ice/mud and censored . I try to give the bike a complete clean once a week and doing this completely degrease drive train and reapply. Of course it's not perfectly clean but short of breaking the chain and leaving it to soak in something about the best I can get. I do live in the Netherlands and it does seem to have a heap of grit/sand that is everywhere and I know this doesn't help. On really bad days I do hose the bike down and relube between cleans at the weekend.

What I want to know is who's had good experience and what lasts well and is fairly reasonably priced. A bit pointless buying £50 chains when they may only do 3000Km's and for £10 you get one that might do 1500KM's. The sames with Cassettes etc.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're replacing stuff that regularly you'd be better off buying Tiagra cassettes and chainrings, and the cheapest 10 speed chains you can find (CRC were doing a 3 pack of mavic chains for less than a tenner each) and changing them at 0.75% wear.
  • bcssbcss Posts: 174
    bobgfish wrote:
    What I want to know is who's had good experience and what lasts well and is fairly reasonably priced. A bit pointless buying £50 chains when they may only do 3000Km's and for £10 you get one that might do 1500KM's. The sames with Cassettes etc.

well the more expensive components are usually not made to last longer but to be lighter, so if you get a chain for GBP10 for 1,500 km you probably be "better off" than buying a chain for 50£ (ie mine was 40£) ie same thing with the frames I would say a cheap alloy frame will last you quite a bit longer than an expensive carbon frame
  • bcss wrote:
    ie same thing with the frames I would say a cheap alloy frame will last you quite a bit longer than an expensive carbon frame

It was going so well until you said that... Carbon should last longer than aluminium alloy given the fatigue characteristics.
  • PeterBLPeterBL Posts: 209
    Tiagra is not the best idea, since it's 9 speed.
  • bobgfishbobgfish Posts: 545
    Dont worry I'm not that stupid to fit 9 speed

So far no one has given me any idea on best bang for buck parts.

Oh well
  • Someone on here pointed me towards Stronglight chainrings for a good price:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s149p297

Inner chainrings can be cheap as they don't need all the fancy ramps etc. that help shifting.
  • Ultegra won't last much longer than 105. I really like KMC chains but mainly because of the split link rather than the fact they last longer. I find the shimano push pins a pain.

Keep all your drivetrain clean, spend more on a better chain that won't stretch and spin more and don't grind. Simples. Eek.