Superstar Pedals, any feedback on them

angry_bird
angry_bird Posts: 3,786
edited February 2011 in MTB buying advice
Ok so I like the look of these pedals

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=127

1) Anyone used them and got any useful feedback about them?
2) Anyone got something basically the same but branded differently and cheaper (preferably red) ?
3) Anyone got any other suggestions for something around the same price (again preferably red) ?

Thank you muchly anyone who can help

Comments

• fearnsy
    fearnsy Posts: 278
    I got'em, in red, fantastic pedals imo. if you look in your mountain bikes, then the first carrera vengeance ultimate, around page 1 +2 look amazing, really high quality finish, offer good grip in all conditions, look light yet strong. I highly recommend them, others may recommend wellgo mg1s, personally never used him, get good reviews though and not sure if they come in red.
    Trek 930 singletrack 06-08
    Pinnacle Peak 2.0 08-10
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate 11-
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    They're excellent vfm. There is a store that sells the same pedal a bit cheaper (about a fiver IIRC) but only in black (I can't remember where now either).

Otherwise, you can get Wellgo MG1s for about £30 on ebay usually. I've got some right now and haven't noticed a difference. The only slightly worrying thing is that the pins screw in, rather than through.
  • The forum answer is Superstar Nanos or Wellgo Mg1s. The superstars are basically kona wah wahs.

I've just found this
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... ano-pedals
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The forum answer is Superstar Nanos or Wellgo Mg1s. The superstars are basically kona wah wahs.

I've just found this
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... ano-pedals

That's the shop I was thinking of in the link. They always seem to be out of stock though.

Edit: apparently not right now though :lol:
  • angry_bird
    Ok thanks for the help so far.

If I were to go for the superstars what would the benefits/drawbacks be of thru pins vs. screw in?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Readytoride just restocked- my long-delayed ti nanos are on their way, woo hoo! Currently £36 for an alu Nano, £56 for a mag, £36 to add a ti axle if you wish (compared to Superstar with £43 for an alu, £60 for a mag, £40 for a ti axle, but better range of colours and I think they do replacement parts too which is a very good thing)

The advantage of pins that screw through from the other side is that if you maul the screw, you can still hopefully get it out (though in practice sometimes it'll still jam). The downside is that the pedal either has to be weaker (since it's got more hole) or heavier (to reinforce the bigger hole that goes right through the body). So it just depends whether you're a pedal destroyer- does seem to me that a lot of people think thru-pins are essential but very few people ever actually use the facility.

Mine are the other design of Nano pedal but it's much the same- same bearings, axle, similiar sized platform etc. Very good... Not quite as grippy as some but thin, wide, and light too. The thin-ness seems like hype but I do feel a difference between my nanos and my fatter wellgos.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • angry_bird
    Ok thanks very much everyone, and thanks for the nudge towards ready to ride.

For some reason, probably because I'm a bit weird (and I'm making a superstar order anyway so I'll only have to make 1 trip to the post office to pick up the parcels). I'm going to get the superstar Nanos because I'm after red pedals, and as everyone knows red makes you go faster :D Plus it should hopefully look nicey on the bikey.

That said I'll probably change my mind tomorrow when I find my debit card and just get the black ones from readytoride anyway.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    £6 extra is worth it for red :lol: I only went to Readytoride's boring black because black goes with everything and I'm always shuffling bits around. The red still looks good once it's worn too which is nice.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Just put the Mag Lite CNC on mine. Look great...better than my old V8's
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    MG1 and SS are the two forum faves, I am 100% behind the SS offering.

the pedal is very thin, so you get better grip than the MG-1, but a few more grams (still an exceptionally light pedal).

There are two other major benefits of SS

1) You are supporting a company that really supports it's customers and has earn't it's reputation.
    2) Pedal bushings wear out every year or so. Some companies charge £8 per pedal to replace. When I spoke to SS about my concerns (they actually speak to you) not only did they send a free set to me, they then put spares on their website for pennies.

So good product, good company and good support.

I am on red too, they do make me faster. My wife rides purple (I could not have her going as fast as me).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?