Cassette choice

stemacca
stemacca Posts: 75
edited January 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi Just a quicky here....Anyone have any ideas on which is the best between these 2.

Shimano stx 8 speed HG50 or the Sram pg850.

Both around the same price.

Also I am thinking of going 11-32 instead of the 11-30 that I have. I have a Scott aspect 45 2010 will I be ok with the rear deraileur that's on as I know you can get short, medium or long but I figure its only 2 teeth extra.

Anyone know on a good chain for these aswell.

Cheers for the help

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited January 2011
    PG850 no contest

Works great with KMC X8-99

11-32 will be fine
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    The general consensus is Shimano cassette and SRAM chain although i have used both and theres very little between the cassettes, shimano having a marginal performance increase but its nearly negligable.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The performance difference is very noticable if you are a high torque rider, i.e. like me you weigh a lot and like doing sudden jolts of power in to the system.

I am unfamiliar with 8 speed cassettes though, my educated guess is that at the rings are fatter the difference will not be so pronounced as 9 speed (when SRAM cassettes snap and bend).

+1 on KMC chains
    Though again, as 8 speeds the designs are less stressed than 9 speed, so would again say there is less difference.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    It depends on the number of teeth you have on the front big ring, not that you would want to ride big big. Chances are it will be ok.

If you can do it, go for it - it makes a big difference when climbing.