Newbie, advie please :)

2»

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    edited January 2011
    andybrad wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    [thread hijack] I've never tried bibshorts as I get on fine with normal shorts. What is so good about bibshorts?[/thread hijack]

Well a couple of reasons why I prefer bib shorts as opposed to the non bib variety is that they tend to stay nice and snug and not ride up and down around the waist. Also in the cold weather they help keep the torso warm. Oh yeah, and they look better! :)

having just googled bib shorts, are you on drugs? how can they ever be described as looking better?

:lol: Not sure about the drugs! Well I don't stand at the bar in my local with them on! They work on the bike though. Drugs? That made me laugh. :lol:
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    andybrad wrote:
    what tyres could you recomend that are 1.5" wide. both rims are 26"

Well if your rims are 26" and your spare tyres are also 26", I'd give them a go to start with, see if they fit. That'd save you spending any more cash on them.

Just as a matter of interest, do you say 1.5" because that's the width of the ones which are on there at the moment? I only ask, because the deciding factor in width is usually how much clearance the frame has, not the size of the wheel. Look at how the wheel fits into the frame: if there's lots of room you can fit fatter tyres.

If I were buying new tyres for a trip round Clumber Park (not that I'd ever do that, b.t.w, I'd just make do with what I had), I'd probably get Continental Travel Contacts - but they're 1.75". I use those for touring and they're pretty good.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    andybrad wrote:
    having just googled bib shorts, are you on drugs? how can they ever be described as looking better?

They look no better nor worse than cycling shorts as the straps are hidden under your jersey. However, don't criticise bib-shorts until you've done a long ride with a pair on and experienced how comfortable they are (assuming a pair that fits!)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    kelsen wrote:
    andybrad wrote:

They look no better nor worse than cycling shorts as the straps are hidden under your jersey. However, don't criticise bib-shorts until you've done a long ride with a pair on and experienced how comfortable they are (assuming a pair that fits!)

under??? :shock:

Ooooh..... :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    under??? :shock:

Ooooh..... :oops:

:D

Yeah, this...
    3686862368_21c6e74513.jpg

rather than this...
    liveshorts.jpg

You see the difference?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm actually not convinced that my bibshorts are any better than my 3/4 length and 'short' tights. They're warmer, but only because they're full length and fleecy on the inside.

Plus it's a PITA to pee when I've got them on! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • my eyes! dear god my eyes!!!!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if your shorts or tights have the braces (bibs) then a baselayer goes underneath the straps and the jersey goes over them - so you can access the pockets in the jersey

if you're wearing just the baselayer and the bibs then it's entirely up to you, what's comfortable is the most importtant thing (although some black shorts have white braces, white braces over a black top may look odd...)

HTH
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    andybrad wrote:
    my eyes! dear god my eyes!!!!
    You had better not look at this then.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • kelsen
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    andybrad wrote:

Yeah but to be fair, he's wearing it properly!
  • KeimanP
    KeimanP Posts: 46
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    andybrad wrote:

I'm not sure that was a good idea clicking on that link at work... the looks from the people that walked past my desk...
    Specialized Allez Sport 2010
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You know sometimes my humour goes right past people..... :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lol :)

comedy.

well guys and gals i came in on the push iron today. The route was fairly straight from door to door but i did (sorry to say) use the walkways on occasion. no predestrians but i was a lot wobbily and thought it the safest option. the bike is well quick :) much faster than any ive had before, happy days!

i wore the lined trousers and after getting up the hill. (how can you measure elevation on googlemaps?) i was cooking. the other problem ive got now is although it didnt rain (yay) im piss wet through from spray. could somone recomend some mudgurards for my gt zum? that dont look like they were bodged on?

all in all happy days :)
  • rhext
    The 'standard' answer on mudguards is SKS

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25793

Bit pricy but easy to fit and very effective. You need to check that your bike has eyelets for them: there should be little threaded holes on the dropouts, just above the point where the wheel axle fits into the frame.

I also see a lot of raceblades:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-race-blade- ... guard-set/

These seem pretty smart and easy to fit, and don't require frame fittings. They don't give quite such good coverage though.
  • cheers folks,

ive got some sks mud guards off the old bike but there massive for 2.3 tyres. i was hoping for something that wouldnt spoil the look of the bike really.

hmm think i may also need padded shorts
  • rhext
    andybrad wrote:
    cheers folks,

ive got some sks mud guards off the old bike but there massive for 2.3 tyres. i was hoping for something that wouldnt spoil the look of the bike really.

hmm think i may also need padded shorts

They come in different sizes. Raceblades are also a lot more slimline, but less robust.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    andybrad wrote:
    im thinking of a bike lock. i dont need one at work or home as it will be indoors but if i go to the pub on a weekend i dont want somone pushing it off. so whats a really nice small lock i can fix to the bike?

Kryptonite Evolution mini U lock

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/6 ... -Lock.html

Fixes to the frame or you can tuck it in a belt
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    andybrad wrote:
    lol :)
    how can you measure elevation on googlemaps?

I use www.bikehike.co.uk for that
  • vorsprung wrote:
    andybrad wrote:
    lol :)
    how can you measure elevation on googlemaps?

I use www.bikehike.co.uk for that

cool, the hill on the way in gives me an accent of 541ft!!!