Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Problem in centering HAYES STROKER CALIPER on ROCK SHOX SID

DadskyDadsky Posts: 38
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am trying to fit a hayes storker trail caliper (POST) to a ROCK SHOX SID TEAM fork, also POST mount. I want to use a 160mm disc, meaning the caliper should fit direct to the mount, withour adaptor. (CORRECT?)
However, I cannot stop the caliper from rubbing the inner pads on the disc. I have bled and forced pistons back into the cylinders as I should. There just does not seem to be enough movement in the adjustment slot - Any one any bright ideas?

• sniper68sniper68 Posts: 2,899
    Have you centred the calliper correctly?
  • DadskyDadsky Posts: 38
    Yes, centered according to HAYES & as I have done on previous bike, (I have had the brakes for about 18 months. )which was with IS & using V8 disc & IS adaptor., Now, I am trying to fit to the new fork & with a V6 disc. I have pressed calipers home..cannot understand that the whole body seems to be off center relative to the disc, By a few mm,
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    sticky piston.

does the disc spin freely? if yes no problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
    No, the disc won´t spin - is pressed against the pad......Have tried pushing the piston back with 10mm ring spanner.
  • Funnily enough i have recently encountered the same problem with a new set of SID RLT's, and my stroker rydes.

There does not seem to be enough movement in the caliper to centre it on the disc, as a temporary measure I have spaced out the rotor by approx. 2 - 3 mm.

As of yet I am unable to find the problem, hoping to get hold a another brake to see if its just on the strokers.
    Yes, I too considered spacing the disc. But decided against i for fear of stripping the thread in the hub.
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    Dadsky
    can you get some Pics later.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown