Lightweight wheels for my Pinarello; too much choice. Help!

willquagmire
willquagmire Posts: 4
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
I've recently acquired my new (long awaited) 2011 Pinarello FP2 which is pretty fabulous.

I want to fit it with some new wheels though. Wheels that are responsive, light, good freewheeling, get me up a hill efficiently (hills are my nemesis!) and useful for the occasional triathlon. Oh and I am quite tall and weigh about 100kgs. Budget - up to £1,500 (though less would be even better!). So, all-rounders really.

Currently considering:

- Mavic R-Sys SL
- Mavic Ksyrium SR
- Mavic Cosmic Carbone SR
- Zipp 303's (over budget - but have seen some good and some bad reviews!).

I am looking for the sort of responsiveness that sees the lightest effort on the pedals produce great results.

Anyone have any experience of the above wheels or recommendation of any other brands / types?

Thanks,

Will.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mavic R-Sys are the best clinchers I've ever tried. However it's up to you whether you trust them...

Zipps are excellent however the 404s make much more sense than the 303s.

Cosmic Carbones are aero and bombproof but heavy.

Mavic Ksyrium SRs are reasonably light, not particularly aero but will last 10 years at least.

I'd get some shimano dura ace 50mm clinchers and some handbuilt Cadence rims/CX Ray spokes/your choice of hub from www.wheelsmith.co.uk for your budget.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    edited January 2011

I am looking for the sort of responsiveness that sees the lightest effort on the pedals produce great results.

Quagmire indeed. Whatever your current wheels are, unless they're square, they aren't costing you enough of your energy that you'd notice a reduction even if new wheels were perfect: that is, if they roll and slice through the air with no resistance at all, and weighed 0.00. Even very expensive wheels weigh something, so the effect is even less.

Dramatic and expensive wheels may please you in other ways, but they'll have very little consequence for your pedalling efficiency.
  • Napoleon - Thanks for the feedback - yes - whether to trust carbon spokes!?
    Balthazar - pleased to report that the current wheels are not square!

Any other advice / wheel reccommednations / experience welcome.

Will.
  • Just read the comics write up on thenew Zipp Firecrest wheels they look really good. The 404 firecrests may be above your budget slightly but they would look great on your bike and they are light and aero. Tubs would be best but even the clinchers are light.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    From some of the recommendations above, a question - are the likes of 404's, Carbone's, 50mm Dura-ace going to be a help or a hindrance when it comes to hill climbing - I always thought they would come into their own on the flat (provided the wind isn't hitting from the side!). Hence the likes of 303's were marketed as a compromise?

I don't know the answer to the above, never having owned semi-deep rimmed wheels but the answer may have the OP deciding which way to focus, depending on how much hills play in his cycling.

Incidentally, I have r-sys premiums and they are fab - no exploding spokes so far - fingers crossed!! :shock:

Peter
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I got a set of Cosmic Carbone SLR's (now called SR's) last year. They are the most comfy wheels I have ridden so far (they replaced a set of Fulcrum Racing Zeros) and hold the speed really well on the flats, downhills and drags. I've not found side-winds to be a major issue as yet (but then I'm pretty heavy at 220lbs!). There are lighter rims available which sould be better for climbing - my rationale was that I go backwards on proper hills so they probably wouldn't make a difference there but do make a noticeable difference in my stronger areas i.e. downhills, flats and drags :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A club mate replaced all his wheels with SLRs - he's 95kg of muscle and a monster on the bike - notorious big gear masher and frame wrecker extraordinaire, so if they're good enough for him, then for most mere mortals should be able to cope. The only other worthy alternatives would be Campagnolo Boras or Fulcrum Racing Carbons in terms of reliability.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • It's a real bummer with expensive factory-built wheels when the rims wear out but the hubs do not/never will.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Cosmic Carbones are aero and bombproof but heavy.

The SR's are lighter than 404 and 303 clinchers.

I'd personally go for Cosmic SR's.
  • Shimano RS 80 C50 anyone?
  • The Zipp 404 Firecrest clinchers are lighter than the Cosmic SRs. Not a lot 40 odd grams but they are lighter.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Wiggle had some 2010 Mavic Carbone ULTIMATES for about £1800.00.
    Probaly the best light weight wheels you can get + they are aero.

Personaly id get some Zipp 808 Max (extra spokes for lateral stiffness + your weight)
    £2000.00

I know these are out of your budget but tought it might be worth mentioning.

I recently got some Mavic Carbone SL's. Im quite happy with them but the front wheel could do with a few more spokes to make the lateral stiffness better IMO.
    Went around a corner the other day and i could definity feel the lateral flex in the front wheel. (16 spokes front wheel) (20 spokes rear)
  • Just read the comics write up on thenew Zipp Firecrest wheels they look really good. The 404 firecrests may be above your budget slightly but they would look great on your bike and they are light and aero. Tubs would be best but even the clinchers are light.

Careful with their reviews. They won't have ridden them for long and are VERY friendly with the ZIPP importers :wink:
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    Hi Will... Not being funny, but why are you looking to put £1500 wheels on a £2k bike ?

I am nearly the same weight as you and would say that hills aren't my nemesis... it's the 20kg that I need to lose that stops me flying up hills.

Anyway - have you considered hand-built wheels rather than off the peg ?

Nice bike BTW - seriously considered the FP2 before deciding on a Kuota.
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • Hello,

Why was I considering £1,500 - no logic really, just most decent wheels seemed to be that price.

In the end I figured no point in compromising too much and given the first triathlon this year is not till May, I opted for the Dura-Ace wheels (latest ones - 7900) which I got for 500 and something quid - which are light, strong and seem to be pretty good - I like them anyway - feel far more nippy than the Cosmic Elites. I will cope with some triathlon wheels in due couse - nearer triathlon time - everyone keeps banging on about the cosmic carbone's (SR) - so might look at them.

HIlls are still my nemesis - but that's mostly fitness me thinks!!!

And Amnesia - yes - FP2 is very nice - and seems quite comfy on long rides (which I'll be doing far more of than triathlons!).

Thanks for all the advice,

Will.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    For £1500 I could kit myself out with a couple of very well built handbuilts from www.wheelsmith.co.uk. One set for climbing( nice light sprint rims on Tune hubs) and some aero's for TT ing etc.
  • fixiebob
    fixiebob Posts: 222
    You can pick up a set of SRAM S40's for half your budget made by Zipp same profile as Zipp's just heavier due to carbon lay up proccess.
    I have a set on my Focus Cayo look nice and seem to spin up nice and I live in the North of Scotland where we get our share of wind there great going into it and no problems even with a strong side wind.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I believe you that your bike is "pretty fabulous". So why not go with a fabulous set of wheels. Forget clinchers. Tubulars are the way to go. Way too many people spend tons of money on frames and components, then ruin the whole thing with clinchers. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me but that's what they do.