Cassette choice help for my daily road bike

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I've been doing up my old steel road bike which had shimano SIS downshifters and 7 speed system.
It's now a campagnolo centaur / veloce 10 speed mix with new centaur wheels, handbuilt with mavic rims.
One thing left to do is choose the cassette. 53/39 front.
I know that a 12-25 would be flexible but it'll be a daily work ride so am wondering whether a 12-23 would be slicker to use, and for hilly days out I might just switch over to a 12-27.
What do you think peeps. My commute isn't terribly hilly and I like to fly back home with as good a cadence as possible to make it part of my training not just commuting.
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• If you've got a 12-27 as a back up and your ride is flat then go for the 12-23. I had a 12-25 and found myself always wanting to push along in the gear I didn't have, switched to 12-23 and am now a happy boy. The smaller jumps will help you find your preferred cadence
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I'm from South Tyneside and I don't think there's really any hill in the 20 mile area that requires a 12/25 or 12/27 with my standard 39/52 and I ain't no spring chicken or fitness freak :wink: 12/23 would be ideal for commutes.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • I'm from South Tyneside and I don't think there's really any hill in the 20 mile area that requires a 12/25 or 12/27 with my standard 39/52 and I ain't no spring chicken or fitness freak :wink: 12/23 would be ideal for commutes.

Rock on! I thought so too. Sunderland to newcastle daily and its npo more than 200m variation. I might get a 25 to venture further away like.
    Good comments,
    Thanks.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If you want a back up cassette to use for longer rides using standard chainset, I would suggest not less than 27 big ring at the back - it's amazing what being tired during a long ride can do to your perception of a hill you think you know!! Speaking from my own feeble perspective of course!

Peter