Noisy Dura Ace 7900

Grifteruk
Grifteruk Posts: 244
edited January 2011 in Workshop
Reading through various forums I have found threads from people who have noticed that DA7900 is noisier than its predecessors. I have tried all sorts to try and get mine to quiet down but after about 800-1000miles its still causing me bother. I have (via myself and more than one mechanic / LBS):

Changed the chain and ensured it is lubed, right length, right way round etc...
Switched between cassettes without much success;
Changed and fine tuned the cables several times, including the routing under the bar tape;
Removed the chainset, cleaned and relubed;
Ruled out my seat post (its an ISP!) and the clamp;
Removed and reset pedals a number of times.

The Ultegra SL on my winter bike is silent and seamless but the DA just does not feel or sound the same. I know each bike and setup is different but i'm still searcing for a solution. Various people have suggested the frame may be amplifying the sound, but I am not convinced.

I am sure there must be a solution or something I have not yet tried? Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Carbon frames do amplify sound - just listen to a SRAM equipped Cervelo with 808s in it, deafening!

I've got dura ace and the transmission is noticeably louder than other bikes so I guess it is just a feature of the 7900 version :?
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    In what way is it noisy? You haven't given much detail. Is it noisy under load or still noisy when freewheeling? What happens when it's on a bike stand, is the noise coming from the chainset or RD? Your quiet ultegra, is it the same frame as the DA?

A good idea is put the bike on a Turbo and let someone cycle it and you can then go around and mark where the noise is coming from.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    Its noisy when in motion, although not when freewheeling which tells me its to do with the groupset. I think the noise is coming from the rear mech and cassette, along with a littlle clunking from the BB. The rear mech is noiser with the chain running over it, as it the cassette. You can hear the BB creaking a little when turning the cranks. I have had it up on the stand and spent a lot of time pinning it down, but no joy in getting it sorted. I dont think there is anything wrong with the frame tho.

Funnily enough one of my mates is taking his new DA7900 out today on his new carbon frame, so I'll ask him tonight how it went and see if he noticed any differences.
  • Grifteruk wrote:
    Its noisy when in motion, although not when freewheeling which tells me its to do with the groupset. I think the noise is coming from the rear mech and cassette, along with a littlle clunking from the BB. The rear mech is noiser with the chain running over it, as it the cassette. You can hear the BB creaking a little when turning the cranks. I have had it up on the stand and spent a lot of time pinning it down, but no joy in getting it sorted. I dont think there is anything wrong with the frame tho.

Funnily enough one of my mates is taking his new DA7900 out today on his new carbon frame, so I'll ask him tonight how it went and see if he noticed any differences.

Same here. Changed the Shimano quick link for a KMC one and that didn't help. Mainly a noise from the transmission although sometimes when on the larger sprockets also.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I must admit I don't know anyone with DA7900 :cry:

It's a bit worrying to hear a BB creaking like that especially with a DA set up. Is the BB actually set up correctly and properly faced? If there's a miss alignment that would skew the chain a tiny bit and be amplified at the RD, if you can understand what I mean.

I think the BB might be the trouble if that's the case.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Think it is a case of TADTS. I have 7900 on my BMC and it seems that it has an amplified transmission noise from interaction from chain & cassette. Annoying at first but get used to it, the lever buzz is more annoying for me :twisted:
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Grifteruk wrote:
    Its noisy when in motion, although not when freewheeling which tells me its to do with the groupset.

This could be anything, not just the groupset.
    When you pedal you exert energy through the frame and stress it.When you free wheel the bike in relaxed more.
    I had this for ages with my Kuota and it turned out to be the seatpost rubbing the seat tube.Drop of grease and hey presto, quiet bike.