Specialized rockhopper comp 2011 problems

Asar01
Asar01 Posts: 51
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Before I ask my question(s) I would like to know if My £900 investment into a specialized rockhopper comp 2011 was worth it as I'm a complete newb

The bike was bought around 4 days ago and the chain has snapped already but I'm going to take it to back to evans for them to take a look At why it was snapped and maybe get a free replacement

Now to my first question, the front avid juicy 3 brake keeps jolting slightly when I attempt to brake, and the back brake keeps making a weird squeaking noise when braking, I was told I had to wear it in but the first 2 days I had it there wasn't a problem or noise at all.

Question 2. Sometimes my gears keep skipping when I'm putting allot of force into it, are bikes ment to do this?

The only size rockhopper they had was a 19inch and it was the one on shelf (where others take for a test ride) should I have waited 2 days for fresh bike? And is a 19" frame ok for a guy at 6"1 18 stone a good choice?

Thanks a bunch

Comments

• Asar01
    Last question guys

If I was to get a refund and add 200 more to 1100 would I beable to build a much betted bike?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No
    No, and they do make noises sometimes.
    Impossible to tell, but you should get a discount on a demo model.
    Maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Your chain broke, thats unfortunate but completely understandable.... Sometimes they just do, I would not read anything into it. The size sounds fine, and if its only a car park tester I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The Avid however can be tempermental. I would suggest ride them for a couple more rides and post back as to how you get on.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I have the same bike and my brakes didnt squeak, also no problems with the gears. If you got it from Evans you get a free 'bedding in' service after 6-8 weeks where they check the brakes, suspension and re- index the gears so they will sort it for you then anyway.
    I would have got them to order you a new one from the warehouse personally rather than take the demo or at least a bit of a discount for the demo bike but whats done is done. :D
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The gears skipping and the chain breaking are almost certainly related. Before the chain breaks it probably had a bulged sideplate, which will catch the cassette. Most likely dodgy from the factory. Whilst chains can, and do, just break, they certainly shouldnt on a 4 day old bike, it's not quite as common as Ben perhaps implies.

The size sounds right, but impossible to say without seeing you.

Brakes may well just be bedding in, they should offer a service after 6-8 weeks use, if things aren't sorted by then I'd take it up with them again.
  • Asar01
    Thanks for the advice guys, another problem I've been having is whenever I brake the front tyre pulls to the left and I get that uncomfortable noise from the brakes, I've taken it to evans and they said it was a bit loose but I know for a fact it wasn't as I had tightened it to the max, I'm thinking of taking the bike back and getting another bike but what would you guys advice I say to the people at evans

And the big question, what bike would u advise for 900-1000 ( that's if they take the bike back)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tell them what's wrong and to sort it out.
    But not sure what you mean, the tyre pulls to the left? Could be a loose hub, simple fix.
    Ask one of the guys in the shop to take it for a ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Asar01
    Let me explain, when I brake the front tyre touches the suspension or when I'm really putting force into pedaling again it touches the suspension
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Sorry if this sounds massively patronising but have you made sure the quick release is fully tightened?
  • Asar01
    Ye I did but I've taken the bike back and got 900 quid worth of vouchers . Now what bike would you guys advice with a budget of 1100??? Thanks
  • Asar01
    Thanks mate, I've heard good things about borderman pro which is 900 quid and comes with good specs but are the frames reliable? http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_Pro.html
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    In terms of value for money, boardmans cannot really be beaten. Quality frames and some super value kit on them for the money, will be much nicer to ride than even a fully working Speshhh for that money. As I've said on other posts we get people bringing them to the shop a lot for services so they are popular bikes.

Can't be bought at evans though.
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    As above Boardmans are great. If you can spend the cash anywhere, get one, but you said you had vouchers, so I would assume you have to buy from Evans.

Unless you sell the vouchers, make a loss, and get a Boardman anyway.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Asar01
    Don't worry I can get my cash back I picked vouchers just so I could get home and ask you guys, to get it into my paranoid brain I just want to confirm a boardman is better than a specialized yes?

Thanks allot aswell guys
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Asar01 wrote:
    Don't worry I can get my cash back I picked vouchers just so I could get home and ask you guys, to get it into my paranoid brain I just want to confirm a boardman is better than a specialized yes?

Thanks allot aswell guys

Better is subjective.

Fantastic spec for the money - Yes
    Better frame and fit for you - Maybe
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Asar01
    Ok well tomoz I'm going to go to Halfords and see if the feel is the feel I'm looking for and if it is I'm going to get my cash back and buy a boardman

Thanks for the advise mate
  • Icky
    Icky Posts: 1
    Hi, don't know where you are based. But I have just ordered a 2011 Specialized rockhopper comp from Buy a bike in Chorley (Near Preston LANCS) RRP £900 in the sale 20% off = £720.00. Noticed they had a pro in also, sure is was up for originally £1200.00 now £ 960.00.

Give them a ring as they are not showing these prices online !!!

Icky
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    There didn't sound like much wrong with your spesh. The QR thing is a bit of a nack to start with. You have to make sure the wheel is properly pushed in to the drop outs when you tighten it. Otherwise it can feel tight, but still pull. The problem you describe seems almost definitely due to loose QR. The brakes do need to be adjusted after bedding in, you do that by slackenning the tri-align bolts so that the caliper is loose on the mount apply the brakes and holding the brake on while you carefully tighten the bolts. This aligns the discs with the pads nicely..

Chain and indexing problems are related again probably due to not indexing them or it could have been due to trying to change gear under load. You always need to change down before you start the climb (for example).

Personally I'd go back and buy another 'hopper since you didn't actually get a new bike to start, but paid new bike prices.

I note they have some FSR 2010 models for similar money.

Also if you think evans are bad for bike building wait until you've tried your boardman at halfords.
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    I was in the same position, I have a Rockhopper comp and its mint!