Fitting new forks

V5ade
V5ade Posts: 192
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
What tools would I need to fit a new pair of forks to my 2007 Rockhopper?
I'm probably going to get a pair of these: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Forks++Shocks/Rockshox+Suspension+Forks/Rockshox+Reba+RLT+Forks+-+2011_RS-REBA-RLT.htm
So I guess that I'll also need a new start nut (can these be fitted without a starnut tool?)
And a adaptor for a PM brake as it's currently got IS.
Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Well.... you need to swap the crown race over old to new. There's proper tools for it but it can be bodged if careful.

Again possible to bodge star nut setting but there's a tool.

In that case - yes you need a new mount.

I'd perhaps consider the model below those forks in the merlin pecking list.
  • Chunkers1980
    When buying the forks don't forget to check the steerer lengths. Too short :cry: , too long you need spacers or tools to cut it well.
  • V5ade
    Thanks Chunkers. I'm now wondering if I should just visit my lbs and get them to fit them. They're only going on my winter biker, but I need something plush as not to aggravate my shoulder (recently had surgery).

Are these the forks you think I should consider?:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Forks++Shocks/Rockshox+Suspension+Forks/Rockshox+Reba+SL+-+2010_880.htm
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy job, don't be put off.

Remove old fork, remove crown race with a small screwdriver, fit to new forks - piece of plastic plumbing pipe works, or just tap it down with a light hammer using a bit of wood between the race and hammer. Little by little with taps on opposing sides until it seats.

Stick forks in hole, after measuring length and cutting if necessary but if it's close you can always add a few spacers - can always cut later. All you need is a small hacksaw.

Get an old threaded brake pad (nice long one), screw it into the star nut and use that to hold the nut and tap it in with a hammer. If it starts going a bit skew, just turn the pad and tap the opposite side.

Half an hour, job done, have a beer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • V5ade
    cooldad wrote:

Remove old fork, remove crown race with a small screwdriver, fit to new forks - piece of plastic plumbing pipe works, or just tap it down with a light hammer using a bit of wood between the race and hammer. Little by little with taps on opposing sides until it seats.

Stick forks in hole, after measuring length and cutting if necessary but if it's close you can always add a few spacers - can always cut later. All you need is a small hacksaw.

Get an old threaded brake pad (nice long one), screw it into the star nut and use that to hold the nut and tap it in with a hammer. If it starts going a bit skew, just turn the pad and tap the opposite side.

Half an hour, job done, have a beer.
    Cheers, Cooldad. It sounds like even I can do that :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Quite late when I typed that. Obviously makes more sense to insert the star nut while the forks are off the bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    cooldad wrote:

This^^^ its an easy job u can do urself and it will save u a few quid and the time/inconvenience with having the shop do it for u.
  • Chunkers1980
    Yeah those were the forks...
  • gasgas
    gasgas Posts: 33
    The forks should come with a replacement star nut, just fitted some revelations and the star nut was included in the fork kit. you may also need a brake adaptor if going from IS mount to post mount.

The other thing worth doing is degrease the headset and re pack with fresh grease.

But as some have saidalready its well easy!