Specialized Allez - off with the old on with the new

denty85
denty85 Posts: 48
edited January 2011 in Workshop
Hi, i've recently bought a Specialized Allez and as many have found out before me the pedals it comes with are poop.

My Shimano 105's should be arriving today (hopefully they'll be there when i get home from work)

Firstly, are the old pedals a simple 9/16 spanner or is there any allen key elements to these?

Secondly, any tips for fitting my new ones (i'm aware of the left reverse thread) and similarly are these just a spanner fitting or do these need an allen key? also, what grease should i use?

Thirdly, what's the best way to get rid of my old ones? petrol and a match? throwing them into a river? trebuchet?

Cheers

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    IIRC 105 road pedals have both flats on the axle and an allen socket in the end. Flats are usually too narrow for a regular spanner or adjustable wrench though; a pedal spanner is thinner and you'll avoid scratching the cranks or mashing the plastic nut on the pedal, and it's also longer to give the required torque.
    If you choose the allen socket it's easier to apply the required torque using a bit / socket handle rather than an allen key.

Any old grease will do. Or copperslip antiseize type stuff

Keep the old ones in case your new ones get nicked / trashed.
  • denty85
    denty85 Posts: 48
    Thanks for the info. So use either Allen bolt or pedal spanner? Do they serve the same function?

Thanks for your help
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yup; just remember which way to turn them!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    A slim 15mm spanner is the best thing. Hopefully with yoru bike being new the pedals will be easy enough to remove and an allen key will also do the trick.