SSC-P7 1200Lm LED Bicycle bike Light HeadLight headLamp

samuelf
samuelf Posts: 13
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Has any one tried one of these they are totally awesome. just got one of ebay and its brilliant.
I never had a power full light because they have always been to expensive.
But at £40 this is really good.

Comments

• If you dont mind me asking can you post a link to the one you bought... I am after another one of these
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    these lights are closer to 600 lumens in reality and the quoted battery mah is hopeful to say the least. very good lights for the money but 1200 lumens for a p7 led is nonsense. and a blatant lie.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    pastey_boy is correct. That's a superb price, by far the best I've seen. But it may be because they're old stock. I have the newer MJ-836 version as a bar mounted light and it's great, same LED but updated housing and a far better battery. Light output is going to be about the same.

The housing on the older ones can get hot, especially in summer. It's designed to be cooled by airflow so don't run it on high mode for long unless you're on the move. New one is far cooler.

Be careful not to get that battery wet, it's not waterproof and folk have had problems with them. Also when you charge it put it on top of something like a metal sheet, some have been known to catch fire but it's very rare! The newer battery is far more waterproof and has an LCD charge indicator, see:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magicshine-Light- ... 0612038012

Don't think I'm running yours down, at that price it's real bargain.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Heya, thanks for the link...

Totally agree, For that price a bit of a steal but also agree with the fact that it will not be producing the 1200 lumes output. The Seoul Semiconductor is capable of producing the 900 lumen output easy, but this is dependant on which driver has been used to power the LED, i would say a more realsitic output would be 500-600 lumens, If it was producing 1200 the heat sink would need to be considerably bigger. The main restriction with pwer LED's is dissapating the heat as this heat causes the resin bonding on the semiconductor to decay faster reducing the life span of the LED... Have a look out for the sst-50 which is starting to hit the UK, 1250 lumens from a single LED which will mean increased running times, In fact i have heard that a single 18650 will power the LED on max power for over 2 hours, In the right housing that would only weigh 200 grams and be self contained.

Good bargain though... Good stuff
  • good !
    It seems like this :
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ssc-p7-3-m ... 8650-50947

... they said :

Brightness: 900 lumens maximum brightness (manufactuer rated)

.... ??? mah ! :roll: :roll:
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    good !
    It seems like this :
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ssc-p7-3-m ... 8650-50947

... they said :

Brightness: 900 lumens maximum brightness (manufactuer rated)

.... ??? mah ! :roll: :roll:
    they all say 900 lumens but that is optimal output using the highest grade leds
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    they all say 900 lumens but that is optimal output using the highest grade leds

Ok !

But ... what's a "highest grade leds" :?:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are a few P7 LEDs of varying colour temp. But the main reason they are rated so high is that they are measured at full whack with all the emitted light collected. Many torches and lamps will not drive them that hard. Add in optics and you get further losses. Looking at typically 400-650 lumens.
  • I had one with the old battery, which died in the rain. Got the new one and the battery is far better. So what if its 600 or 900 lumens ? its a fantastic bit of kit for the price. It does the job at a fraction of the price of the hopes etc.