"End of a Bad Experiance", I Hope!!!!.

swiftyx2
swiftyx2 Posts: 203
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Folks,

I know this is more than likely in the wrong section (sorry mods), but today I have at last got my replacement bike after some scum bags broke into my garage and stole my 6 month old Marin Wolfridge 6.8 in October last year.

My new baby is a Marin Attack Trail 6.8 and all I can say is its fab.

All I can say is please take care your bikes folks as we spend a small fortune on them, then all our spare time riding them, then all are spare cash up-grading them, then hours in the garage cleaning and polishing them, then all night on our computers talking to other like minded people about them.
So make sure they are protected the best you can as speaking from experiance the feeling I got when I walked into my garage and saw my bike gone was not a nice one.

All the best
Steve.
[/url]
Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
Marin Attack Trail 6.8
Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
Trek 6500
Bianchi Carbon

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Swiftyx2 wrote:
    ...the feeling I got when I walked into my garage and saw my bike gone was not a nice one.
    Have been on the receiving end of unwanted attention from thieving scum meself - a car and a motorcycle.

Worst feeling in the world when you turn the corner and there's a gap where you left it :(
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    dont want to go there again and i know the scum will be back at some point which is just as bad.

after a stint in the house my replacement bike (and the ones they didnt take) are moving back to the scene of crime (externally acessed cellar), not happy but nor is the wife with 2.5 bikes in the kitchen.

new door (steel reinforced, frame bolted to masonry, BS3621 mortise deadlock )
    1 x home made, 16mm concreted in ground anchor, 1 x previously compramised ground anchor (this time epoxied in) and 1 x wall anchor
    16m toughened chain, some regular chains i had lying around.
    all positioned to restict access.

awaiting delivery of a couple of U locks and still need to find some sort of alarm

most importantly updated insurance

if they want them, they'll take them but no reason to make life simple for the funkers
  • Don't forget the old "personal rape alarm" trick.

Position the unit hidden away with something like fishing wire attached to the pin at one end and then the bike at the other. If its well enough hidden (and especially harder to see in poor light) they move the bike, the pin pops, the alarm goes off, the whole neighbourhood knows about it!

Just don't forget yourself when getting it out half asleep first thing in a morning.
    "If in doubt....close your eyes"

One One 456 Carbon
  • swiftyx2
    Sharpy,
    The police officer who came to have a look said the same thing about the rape alarm "trick".

Not sure yet but a mate from work has got an Alarm for his garage that has a censor that scans 360 deg`s and when activated it sets off an alarm bell at 135 decibels !!!.
    Way to loud to be close "too" but in a confined space like a garage that will only amplify it, it will be "deafening".
    It can also phone as pre-set number to alert that its been activated. My mate said he only paid about £50-£60 for it and it was advertised in a Motorcycle magazine.

Sounds good so will be looking for one for my garage me thinks.

ATB
    Steve.
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon
  • ll_sharpy wrote:
    Just don't forget yourself when getting it out half asleep first thing in a morning.

I've forgotten the one on my shed a couple of times.
    Right next to your ear as you walk in
    :shock:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Had my trek fuel ex8 nicked off the top of my car outside my house a couple of months ago. Your stomach just drops when you first find it missing.

Security and insurance is key. Glad you got it sorted.
  • swiftyx2
    Folks,

Anyone interested in the very loud alarm drop me a PM I have the name but now spending my time looking for a deal on the net.
    Sent off my order today for some nice new brakes for the Marin Formula "the one".
    Happy Day.

Steve
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon