Biggest tire for Rock Shox Reba Race?

nbewsey
nbewsey Posts: 7
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi All,

Newbie here, long time reader, first time poster.

I've searched around but can't seem to find out the widest tire I can fit to a Rock Shox Reba Race SL?

I'm looking to fit 2.35 wide if possible but don't want to foul the fork.

Any advice/ experience greatfully received

Thanks

Neil
Boardman MTB HT Pro '10

Boardman Urban Comp '08

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it will be fine.

max widths are listed in the manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick :D
    Boardman MTB HT Pro '10

Boardman Urban Comp '08
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This may sound daft, but it seems not all tiers of a certain size are actually the same size.

My 2.1 inch Maxxis Crossmarks for example look a lot wider than my old 2.1inch maxxis Ignitors.

Either way, looking at my Rebas 'd say 2.35 is a bit wide.
  • I just looked at the manual on SRAM's website and it said that the max fitted tire width for the reba is 2.4...

Tape measure out tonight methinks!
    Boardman MTB HT Pro '10

Boardman Urban Comp '08
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Big, new 2.25 Maxxis, which are bigger than their own 2.35, tyres fit fine (ADvantage, Ardent, etc), as do older model 2.5 Maxxis tyres. Latest generation Conti tyres in 2.4 generally don't (this is slightly dependent on the size of the knobs). 2.25 Schwalbe tend to be similar in size to modern Maxxis, so fit ok.

Confused yet? :wink:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I hadnt thought about this - Have just bought some Nevegals 2.35 and have Tora forks - will they fit? I has just assumed so...

And will they fit on the Hardrock Sport my son is getting in March - it has SR Suntour SF10-XCT-V2D-MLO, 80mm...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    apreading
    they will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    nicklouse wrote:
    apreading
    they will be fine.

Pheeeww! Thanks
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    I have run Conti Mountain King 2.4's on my Boardman Pro (08) with a Reba Race fork, which worked fine with the fork but the rear tyre rubbed on the front mech. I ended up taking the tyres off and fitting 2.2's instead, much better.
  • baser wrote:
    I have run Conti Mountain King 2.4's on my Boardman Pro (08) with a Reba Race fork, which worked fine with the fork but the rear tyre rubbed on the front mech. I ended up taking the tyres off and fitting 2.2's instead, much better.

Baser, thanks - I wanted a 2.1 rear and 2.35 front so that sounds like it will be fine then!
    Boardman MTB HT Pro '10

Boardman Urban Comp '08
  • Tyre sizes are pretty random! I have a Bontrager XR4 2.2 on my Reba Race and the width (which is slightly more than a 2.35" High Roller) easily enough. However the vertical clearance is pretty tight, about 7mm with fresh tyres at ~30psi. That's absolutely fine in the summer and I haven't had a problem with it in practice in the winter mud but I do wonder if I'll eventually start wearing away the fork bridge, as tons of mud rub against it.
  • nicklouse wrote:

And where would one find that online? I'm looking at Sektor Coil U-Turns and can't find any manual anywhere but the SRAM website is a navigational nightmare...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you're that fussed about having the widest tyre, a Stanley knife is your friend for the knobs that rub under flex.
  • nicklouse wrote:

And where would one find that online? I'm looking at Sektor Coil U-Turns and can't find any manual anywhere but the SRAM website is a navigational nightmare...

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/dealers/2011-Sektor-Technical-Manual.pdf
    Boardman MTB HT Pro '10

Boardman Urban Comp '08
  • warpcow wrote:
    Big, new 2.25 Maxxis, which are bigger than their own 2.35, tyres fit fine (ADvantage, Ardent, etc), as do older model 2.5 Maxxis tyres. Latest generation Conti tyres in 2.4 generally don't (this is slightly dependent on the size of the knobs). 2.25 Schwalbe tend to be similar in size to modern Maxxis, so fit ok.

Confused yet? :wink:
    what you say sounds about right, my Maxxis Advantage 2.25s are pretty accurate while maxxis tyres in the 2.35 size are smaller. Schwalbe 2.25s also come up smaller than my 2.25 advantage.
  • nbewsey wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/dealers/2011-Sektor-Technical-Manual.pdf

Thanks! But it doesn't actually contain any data on tyre clearance at all...
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    2.25" Nobby Nics fit easily