Something dodgy?

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm selling a bike, or trying to on Gumtree and have had a few sniffs but no real interest but did have an email from a potential buyer today but something tells me it's a bit iffy. He has offered over what I'm looking for and wanted me to send a Paypal payment request and he will respond with the figure and get somebody to collect the bike but I'm worried about having a chargeback. Something else that makes me think something isn't quite right is the email address he's using for the emails is different to the paypal address.
Am I right to be worried?
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    yes. wait for another buyer or ask for a safer form of payment.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    tell him cash on collection and have a mate or two with you when they turn up to collect (perhaps don't do the collection from your home address either)
    Hat + Beard
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I'd insist on other forms of payment other than paypal, they almost always side with the buyer.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Not a fan of paypal - I sold some Isle of Wight tickets using paypal last year. Buyer paid by paypal, I thought everything was ok so sent the tickets, only for the payment to be reversed. Paypal didn't seem to be the most helpful, so a bit of google-fu and the buyer claims he didn't know what had happened and would sort it. Got the cash but was a hassle.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Paypal problems aside I think the fact that he is offering to give you more than you're asking is very suspicious.
  • redvee
    After the email of dinnertime I did reply with a cash on collection only transaction. Glad I can't do Paypal on my phone.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Could be advance fee fraud. Obvious signs that it is that they tell you that either someone else or a "shipping agent" will come to collect the item, any mention of cheques or Western Union.

Very common for anyone selling something online to be offered too much money for the item (although it is usually by cheque). You then 'refund' the excess back to the person thinking that you are clever and have waited for the cheque to clear whatever. However banks and Paypal can claw the money back weeks later, which means you just sent a stranger a load of cash.

The scam is clever because you spend all your time guarding the item that you are selling only for the buyer to send too much money or pay really easily without ever coming around. You drop you guard because you believe that you have their money in your account so the power rests with you. The niave think that a cheque clears within 4 days, but it doesn't. What the scammer wants is for you to send them back money so they can withdraw it.

The question to ask; why would someone go to all that trouble for your item or buy it unseen when it simply isn't that special?
  • It's a well known fraud, they give you too much, then try to clain a refund of the whole lot once they have your bike.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ............or then again could be genuine (tho' I have my reservations).

Either way I'd want to have the folding in my hand for any purchase over around £20. If his mates are to collect the bike then ask that he send his mates the money to bring with them.

If you'd like some of us to be there at the handover leaning against walls with arms folded whilst chewing toothpicks menacingly just ask old chap!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Gumtree for me works as cash in hand + collection. I wouldn't sell anything on there differently.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    If it seems dodgy it is.

This is a classic chargeback scam.

Offer cash on collection.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    It's a well known fraud, they give you too much, then try to clain a refund of the whole lot once they have your bike.

Actually the best part of the scam is they never actually collect what you are selling so all your efforts to guard the item are the distraction. They have no interest in it, as they simply want you to send the "refund".
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I always am wary of anything that sounds too good to be true. Why would anyone want to pay over the odds for your item?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've just re-read the OP stating they are offering over the asking price. SCAM.
  • redvee
    Not heard from the 'buyer' in 24 hours now, hope he hasn't lost interest :lol: