The Shame

mak3m
mak3m Posts: 1,394
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
After having a cracking first summer on my MTB i fell into the omg its too cold to get my legs out malise.

not sure what went wrong as im xc mainly and love dirty rides. But since November!!!!!!! the steed has been in the garage and my ever fatter ass has been on the settee.

*sigh* so im back to begining again. quick 30min home service and tyre check then getting back in the saddle with a gentle night ride tonight. :shock: aches and pains will be my only friends this week :P

Comments

• shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    If it makes you feel any better, I am in the same position.

Just can;t get motivated to ride in the gloomy cold winter months.
    As I've got older I've become what I always used to mock: A Fair Weather Rider

My last ride was at the end of October, bike's been locked in the shed since then, still covered in mud from that ride.

Just this week am preparing to clean it up & give it a service ready for the warmer weather to arrive.

Oh, the shame :oops:
  • I too was in the same boat. Hadn't swung a leg over my bike until yesterday. Went to Richmond Park and rode 30 miles and I felt every single one of them. Kicked off my yearly bike commuting program by riding into the office today and was surprised how uncomfortable I felt on my saddle :-)

Hopefully riding in more regularly will toughen me up a bit. Good luck to you with your riding this year :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mak3m wrote:
    After having a cracking first summer on my MTB i fell into the omg its too cold to get my legs out malise.

not sure what went wrong as im xc mainly and love dirty rides. But since November!!!!!!! the steed has been in the garage and my ever fatter ass has been on the settee.
    I'm not surprised. With temperatures reaching lower than -20, it would only be bigotted morons that would call you out on hibernating for a while.

The saddle will get less painful over time.
    I'm amazed at how a bike saddle can be uncomfortable after a spell of the bike, then it becomes fine after some time.
    A friend of mine pointed out that maybe I should be worried about not feeling pain in my arris after a while when I was trying to explain to her to just ride a bit more often :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As a bigotted moron, I think you are a disgrace.
    No wonder the empire crumbled.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I did my first 30 miler of the year on Saturday and it left me wondering how on earth I was able to do 60's last summer.

Been doing a fair bit of cross country skiing though, good for the arms and cardio but the legs don't get nearly the same work out as on a bike.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I must admit, I resent going out on the EX when it's wet, muddy and horrible, not because i'm scared of the cold (I spend most days working in it) or mud, but because it's such a complete bastard to clean after every ride... and I know all that crap isn't doing any good for the moving parts of the frame.

That's why i'm buying a Carbon 456 frame in the summer. When autumn starts to roll in the EX will be stripped down, cleaned and serviced and then wrapped up for the winter, then all the bits will be built onto the far easier to maintain hardtail and i'll ride that till spring rears it's head and the trails become dry and dusty again.

At least that way I can get the best of both worlds without spending a bomb and I know I wont always have one bike not being used.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Epic fail thread :twisted:
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    I'm lucky in that my daily commute to work and back features a 3mile bike ride. While it's not much the journey home is 3 miles and is all uphill (literally).

Being out everyday helps to keep me motivated for the fun weekend rides too. And the price of the bus motivates me to cycle, ha! It's a vicious circle, for which i'd like to thank the robbing gits who set bus prices.

Glad you're getting out though mate, I was out at the weekend and loved it.
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    lol thank you for the support and *ahem* feedback

not that sore but was a tiny 10miler, another similar bimble tonight then build up to a 25-30 mile day ride on thursday to blow out cobwebs and lower blood pressure. Then the pain will hit :twisted:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Shame indeed

Only thing that kept me off the bike lately was the ice

If you are cold, you arent trying hard enough :P
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Only the ice has kept me off the bike this winter too and I feel great for it - if not a little smug. ;-)

Dread to think what it's doing to my bike though.