Bike Help

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Without turning this into a "What bike should I buy..." thread, I'm looking for a bit of help.

I currently own 2 Specialized bikes - a (2005) Hardrock Sport Disc and a 2010 FSR XC Comp. For the last year I have been doing some racing and but not performing to my best, always choosing the FSR XC and have noticed that if I pedal for more than an hour on the thing, my back is killing me and no matter how much power I put down, the thing just seems to drag its ass and goes no where! It's fun on the descents though :). I'm 5ft10ish and most of the time when I am on the FSR I feel like I am stretching, like the stem is too long or something I don't know.

However, when I throw my leg over the Hardrock, my speed dramatically increases and I can pedal for hours and don't have pain. Is there anything I can do to make the FSR better? It feels like I am sitting more upright on the hardtail and therefore I can breathe better and on the FSR I am very claustrophobic.

Comments

• wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Try different saddle positions and stems. Buy a bunch of 2nd hand bits to find the right combination, then sell the 2nd stuff and buy nice shiny bits of the correct dimensions.

Or sell both bikes and get a better hardtail.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    wordnumb wrote:
    Or sell both bikes and get a better hardtail.

I'm seriously considering the latter. I've been out with a few different people over the week and done the old "give me a go on your bike while you catch your breath".