Thread to Highlight your Most Positive Buying Experiences

shm_uk
shm_uk Posts: 683
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

This thread is for all BR members to exhibit their most positive buying experiences.

Whether dealing with your LBS or Online, let's hear your stories of services exceeding your expectations or businesses exceeding their promises in some way.

There is just 1 Rule:

1) No negative tales please

Comments

• shm_uk
    I'll kick off the thread with a few...

Chain Reaction Cycles
    For following up a warranty claim for a chainset I purchased in 2003. No proof of purchase other than what looked like the right thing on my aged bank statement. I thought my claim would be impossible.... however, excellent help & e-mail communication throughout... replacement chainset received within a couple of weeks.

Superstar Components
    Order placed 14:54 on a Tuesday afternoon. Arrived on my desk at work by 10:00am the next day :shock: How quick was that!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shm_uk wrote:

There is just 1 Rule:

why? will that not give a balanced view?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shm_uk
    nicklouse wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

There is just 1 Rule:

why? will that not give a balanced view?

In this instance I just wanted to keep the thread positive :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bought some Revelation Teams off the classifieds, half price, fantastic forks :wink:

I think CRC have been the most consistently good shop I've dealt with probably. My local Halfords gave me great service, the freehub failed on my Kraken which I bought used, so no warranty but when i took it in no questions asked they offered a replacement, and when they found it it was going to be slow to get one in as it was back ordered, they gave me the wheel out of their display bike. Fab.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ads678
    ads678 Posts: 70
    Bought some jeans from stif online, they got delivered to the wrong address (my fault). All got sorted out even though I had to send them back for a different size. Just generally good customer service.

Ordered a bash ring from Winstanleys at lunch time, arrived the next day, standard delivery.

Bought a frame off ebay from Leisure lakes 9pm Tuesday night (before xmas) framed arrived Thursday afternoon, I was stunned. Although this was not good as it meant I spent all xmas eve/day and boxing day thinking about building it when i was supposed to doing family stuff and playing with the kids!!!!

CRC generally v good.
    GT Avalanche 1.0
    Orange Five
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Ordered Earthed 3 from Cycle Store with a new mech hanger but it was discontinued so they gave me Earthed 4 for free despite it being worth twice as much :D

They still managed to send the wrong hanger but ah well
  • Ro88o
    Ro88o Posts: 130
    Wiggle, can rely on them for quick delivery everytime :D
    You only get one shot .........so make it a double !
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/r0880/1177 ... 4113728080
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    Bike 24

Ordered a complete xt transmition, only to find out that I ordered the wrong rear mech!
    I only discovered it after opening the bags and installing it. Contacted them and they not only exchanged it for the right one, but also payed what I spent in sending them the wrong mech.
    Mind that it was completely my fault that I ordered the wrong part.

Bikeland

My LBS in Algarve, Portugal.
    Great service, always friendly and great advices from them, and most of all their mechanic jobs are flawless and cheap. Really, best bike shop I've ever used.
  • Actionsports.de

Ordered a full 10sp SLX groupset from them (Germany) and arrived in 3 days, within the allotted 1 hour time slot I was given, all for the cost of 3.99Euros. Price of the goods was incredible also.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Absolute-cycles.com the fastest delivery ever but then the owner does live in the same street as me and delivers on his way home.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    CRC: Always deliver very quickly, my last order was for a couple of Kryptonite locks and some Finish Line chain lube. One of the locks must have bashed the lube in transit and cracked the cap on it so some of it leaked out.

I emailed them and they sent me a new tube of lube within 2 days - no hassle at all.

Plus their prices are always some of the best available online.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    CRC: Ordered a Front Mech on the 27th of December. Due to my home towns Royal Mail sorting office being the worst in the western world even weeks after the snow etc it still hasnt arrived. Emailed CRC saying it hadnt arrived, the reply "We have sent you a replacement free of charge. It should be with you in 3-5 days."

Got a text from a courier company and it is arriving tomorrow so I can start getting my bike ready. :D
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Superstar Components: Super fast delivery every time and bangin' prices

Lex's: Bought at 3pm, arrived at 9am, 2 super cheap Bonty Mud X's, superb service

Aerocycles in Haverhill suffolk (new shop just opened): Requested a Tiagra rear hub for something I'm working on, ordered it and It was with him the next day. Great service and also a much nicer feeling to support a LBS and an online megastore like CRC
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    stubs wrote:
    Absolute-cycles.com the fastest delivery ever but then the owner does live in the same street as me and delivers on his way home.

My housemate has the same service... E-mails me at 5:45pm and the stuff is home by 6:15!!!!
  • camy151
    camy151 Posts: 32
    Dales in Glasgow, needed to get a new rim and build, rim was on back order from mavic so they took my cassette off and gave me a loan of a wheel. Rim was delayed by mavic so they serviced my hub for free as well!
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Bottle of Speckled Hen in the Drop Off Cafe, sat outside having just completed the Skyline trail. Very happy customer.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    got sex toys from ann summers turned up next day :oops: for the wife :lol:

super star have all way been very good as well
  • lasty
    lasty Posts: 218
    Best positive buying experience was rather bizarrley a negative one ....

Rip-off local sourfaced shop `manager` charged me nearly £200 for a service on mi old Hardrock including £25 for a mech hanger PLUS £25 to fit it ... :shock:

Got the basic tools and now service and repair my own bikes ...

Many thanks to the fop-haired jerk at MOORES on Kingston road , hampton wick .
  • CRC - infamously quick delivery
    Superstar - not far the same also excellent products (wheelset, grips etc)
    Wheelbase - great experience getting my Trek;went fora Cannondale; the guy suggested also the Trek anda Mondraker (I was tempted ); no pressure gave them all a quick spin etc etc; a nice helpful experience. He listened which was the most important thing.
  • Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    Has to be Evans Cycles at the Trafford Centre.

My wife wanted a bike to ride so that we can go out as a family on the bikes, now both children (3 & 7) are on two wheels.

The guy in Evans spent an hour with us trying different sizes and types of bikes to make sure we got a bike that she felt comfortable on and was the right size.

We finally walked out with a Specialized Myka that had been reduced in the sales on their recomendation.

The set up of the bike is perfect and nothing was too much trouble for them.

Top marks.

Chris
  • Can I say what a great idea for a thread. Makes such a pleasent change from the usual harbingers of doom and the rude gits who do a lot of the posting.

Keep em coming
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hargroves in Southampton :D

Did a great service on my bike which cost less than I expected, remembered me when I phoned a week or so later and had a nice chat about my bike. Ordered a few bits to improve the bike further and fitted them (cheerfully!) on a busy Saturday, along with helping me choose a new bike helmet after crashed my old one. Good guys with lots of friendly chatter :D

I'll definiely go back there again (instead of my previous bike shop who withheld the friendly chatter and always charged me £70 for everything... :roll: )!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    Swinnertons at Cannock Chase have been consistently good. Always really helpful.

CRC - I can't think of a single reason why I'd go elsewhere (apart from if they don't stock the product). Really fast service and the few times I've had to return something it's been quick and lots of email contact. Good stuff.

Also it's nice to see a positive thread :)
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Sheffield Cycles in Burton, quick to turn the bike around when it goes into the workshop, cheap and always helpful.

Merlin, CRC, Superstar, Wiggle and nextdaytyres.com, excellent service and never had a problem from any of them
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Yeah another for Superstar, and Ribble Cycles always have good deals if you need to spend a few quid, which normally is the case. Merlin have alwyas been fantastically quick too, They are my main 3 ports of call for any bits and bobs I need
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Fizik. Bought a Gobi KIum in black and red direct from them. Fell off and bent the rails, emailed them and returned it, they have repaired it and returned it to me free of change. You cannot get any better than that!
  • fearnsy
    fearnsy Posts: 278
    Superstar - Fantastic prices and quick delivery.
    On-one - ordered two schwalbe nobby nics (half price!) on a wednesday about 8am, free delivery, arrived 8am the next morning, got home stunned :D
    Trek 930 singletrack 06-08
    Pinnacle Peak 2.0 08-10
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate 11-
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    wills wheels stockport....very good same day turn round
    super star......
    ribble 1st class service stuff posted same day
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    CRC excellent.

Hope On-One are as good when I've finished trashing my current frame.

Shout out to Halfords on Winchester road, Southampton. I got my current Bokor off ebay for £200 and with 9 months warranty left. Snapped the chain on sunday, so went in with the bike and they replaced it there and then, no questions asked. Some Halfords are pretty damn good, at that one some of the guys really know their bikes, and they're open sundays and 'til 8.
  • Lawrencebham
    Lawrencebham Posts: 11
    edited January 2011
    Ordered a large 2009 Fuji Nevada at Evans Cycles in Birmingham and the lad who was showing me the bike ordered the wrong one. He ordered a 2010 edition which was a lot more than I was willing to pay at the time. When my bike arrived and they told me of their mistake they gave me a massive discount on the bike and threw in a Specialized helmet also. Ever since I have always gone to Evans and built up a good relationship with the guys that work there.

Ordered my Magic Shine light and I called with a list of questions, all of which were answered straight away and without getting annoyed lol. Great service and a fantastic product which arrived yesterday and incidently blinded my mate because I turned the light on as a joke while he was looking at it!
    Fat dude trying to get fit on a much loved 2010 Fuji Nevada