Rear wheel vertically out of true

pianoman
pianoman Posts: 706
edited January 2011 in Workshop
I got some new FSA wheels a few weeks ago but from around 100 miles in I couldn't help but notice a "bump" at times on the rear wheel in much the same way you do when you puncture. I took it to the store I bought it from and they told me they'd fixed a "slight hop in the rim" and that "the spokes were bedding in". Although it wasn't as bad today on my club ride, the problem hasn't gone away completely and now I'm thinking it'll revert back to its previous state after a few more rides. Presumably because the vertical trueness is not up to scratch.

Did the shop not correct the problem properly? Or was the rim just a lost cause in the first place? And is this a pure spoke issue or could the rim be bent too?

Comments

• what you are describing is a wheel which is out of "radial true" (up and down) rather than a lateral true (side to side wobble), a bike shop can solve this problem by tightening the spokes at the high point and thus pulling the wheel in towards the hub to rid this high spot. radial trueness is very important in a wheel to ensure the wheel last a long time. wheel damage occurs very quickly when out of radial true, i recommend you return the wheels to the shop to rectify this, its a fiddily job and not for the faint hearted/ inexperienced
  • If the rim has a flat in it then it's time to buy a new one.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    British Standard for new bikes is a tolerance of 5mm for radial truth.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Monty Dog wrote:
    British Standard for new bikes is a tolerance of 5mm for radial truth.

:o seriously?! That's ridiculous.
  • pianoman
    Well that sort of thing shouldn't be happening on such a new wheel should it? Is it more the fault of the builders at the FSA factory? Or is it more the fault of who I bought them from that this wasn't checked at the time of purchase? FSA wheels do at least carry a two year warranty. Do I have a case with the shop I bought them from?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    PianoMan wrote:
    Well that sort of thing shouldn't be happening on such a new wheel should it? Is it more the fault of the builders at the FSA factory? Or is it more the fault of who I bought them from that this wasn't checked at the time of purchase? FSA wheels do at least carry a two year warranty. Do I have a case with the shop I bought them from?

Your contract is with the shop, not FSA. It is for the shop to sort. If they have to have dealings with FSA that is their problem, not yours.

If they are only a few weeks old, I would be wanting replacements, not the shop running a spoke key over them. I also wouldnt accept the shop sending them back to FSA and waiting without wheels for weeks on end. I would want to leave the shop with new wheels or cash refunded.
  • pianoman
    The shop does have lots of other manufacturer's wheels in stock, but these were the only FSA wheels on the shelf at the time (though they do deal with one of the FSA distributors regularly). Should I be able to get something similar e.g. Fulcrum 7's and then have them recoup the money from the FSA distributor where they originally got them from? Or would the "new wheels" you refer to limit me to something from the shop's distributor?