harryp_1st
harryp_1st Posts: 4
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi guys

I have a 2010 Stumpy Elite which has the standard tyres on it

Purgatory 2.2 at the front
Captain control 2.0 at the rear

I need to change the tyres and was after some recommendations

I mainly ride trail centres like Afan and Cwmcarn but venture onto the Mendips also.

I looked at Panaracer Fire XC pros but they don't come in the sizes above, the same for Maxxis. Would running a 2.1 on the front and a 1.8 on the rear be a bad idea? How about running 2.1 front and rear?

Has anyone changed tyres on this bike, if so what to? Or is it best to stick to the tyres it came on?

Any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    what do you want to change abou tthose tyres in particular?

i have used both of those and like them very much, the purgatory is a super tyre in my opinion
  • Thanks for the reply

I guess I don't want to change anything in particular, the tyres are coming to the end of their life and I wondered what other people recommended on this bike.

I was just investigating if there might be something better

I could always buy the same again if the Specialized tyres are rated highly

Tyres seem to be a total minefield, I was going to try the Panaracer tyres but I cannot work out what sizes to try without changing the characteristics of the bike drastically
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    you are right about the tyre minefield, some will swear blind that kenda make the best, others will swear maxxis are the best, i always prefer specialized tyres, for whatever reason, i just like all of the ones i have tried.

my faves are sworks version of the eskar, i wish they did a narrower version for my old stumpy. i run the captain and purgatory combo on it on the odd occasion that i ride it. my edison has eskars which i love to death.

i would say if you like what you have, keep em.
  • Thats slowly the conclusion I am coming to, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with them and obviously the bike comes with these sizes for a reason.

If I could get the same sizes in another make I would probably try them but I don't want to be spending money on just evaluating tyres if I don't get on with them

I am tempted to put the Panaracer 2.1s on both front a rear but I can't help thinking that it won't suit the bike